Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well I certainly hope the rumored date for AT&T devices is correct as I travel for the holiday that night and will be returning/replacing my wifi only model with that morning. Would just be a bonus if I could have it for the trip.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I bought an iPad mini yesterday. As soon as I got home, I got out of the car, it slipped out of my hand, and the screen shattered. Brand new, and its ruined. Unbelievable.

Sounds like a case of "damaged in shipping" to me, hehe... OMG did I just say that? I'm going to hell

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
heh, I believe it is possible with google voice with talkatone (no extra fees) or a similar service. The experience would lack the Apple polish though. My experience with voip over 3g has been spotty at best.

I've heard people with ipod touch's making calls over wifi this way. I'd be curious if it worked well over LTE. Could save some major $$ avoiding the voice plans.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a try.

You actually can and you would look real cool doing it. Just like when people use the full size iPad to take video in public places!
But seriously, if you want to use it as a phone, there are so many ways to do it.
Free outgoing phone calls: "Magicjack" app
Free outgoing/incoming phonecalls: Sign up for a USA google account, add google voice account and use the app: "Talkatone"

If you want to make it look like you are making calls from another phone number such as your cell, go to Voip.ms and get a paid VOIP number. Then, use the app "Bria".
They all work okay on a good 3G data plan but they work really well on LTE.

There's my helpful VOIP tip of the year.

Thanks as well. I'll be playing with those apps for sure. Didn't realize it was actually so simple. Hope all this stuff works in Europe as well. :)

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I've been using Skype over iPad for my only phone line ever since iPad 1 hit the shelves. Never tried it on speakerphone. I always just use the wired headphones, BT headset, or BT car system. Works fine.

I bought an iPad mini yesterday. As soon as I got home, I got out of the car, it slipped out of my hand, and the screen shattered. Brand new, and its ruined. Unbelievable.

No way!!?!!?! lol, i mean sorry about your iPad mini....why were you holding it in your hand getting outta the car?? that's gotta be one of the most popular ways devices break lol

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
It fits perfect in the inside pocket of a suit jacket. It will probably fit in that same pocket on any of your winter coats and certainly in the side glove pockets. Finally, it will fit in your back pocket in a pair of jeans. Of course then you run the risk of sitting on it. Or having it swiped. But in any case it will be much more dude friendly portable than the current iPad.

Oh and it will fit in cargo pant pockets.

there is nothing "dude" friendly about an iPad mini
maybe it will fit in your hipster bike messenger bag too

its still a slow and stupid bit of tech :mad:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
there is nothing "dude" friendly about an iPad mini
maybe it will fit in your hipster bike messenger bag too

its still a slow and stupid bit of tech :mad:

Lol - its neither slow nor stupid. It does exactly what it sets out to do - if you're buying a mini for working advanced mathematical equations, you've been misled.

You can see my setup in my sig - been "laptop-less" for a few years now. Looking forward to adding a mini to my mobile device lineup. LTE mini for everyday on-the-go stuff (browsing, email, reading), phone for, ya know phone stuff (calls, text messages, music) and papa iPad for some home use and longer travel (movies, games, media).

32 GB for each since I'll split up my libraries as I mentioned - should have plenty of room on each to mix and match sometimes as well!

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

A number of U.S. customers who pre-ordered cellular-capable models of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad are now reporting that their order statuses have been updated to reflect delivery estimates right around Thanksgiving.

Many MacRumors forum members are reporting that they are now seeing delivery dates of Wednesday, November 21, although several are seeing deliveries scheduled for Tuesday, November 20.

We've received a couple of reports regarding the cellular-capable models of the fourth-generation iPad, with delivery of those orders currently scheduled for November 23, which is Black Friday.

Apple had previously listed similar delivery timeframes for U.S. pre-orders, but removed those dates and replaced them with "mid-November" estimates before returning to the more specific dates today. Cellular-capable iPad mini and iPad models are arriving in the U.S. first, with other countries seeing deliveries following later in the month.

MacRumors has also received unconfirmed word from one source saying that AT&T will be launching in-store sales of the cellular-capable models of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad on Friday, November 16. This would appear to be somewhat inconsistent with pre-order deliveries not occurring until the following week, as Apple typically times deliveries and in-person launches for the same timeframe. Apple's pre-order delivery dates may, however, be subject to change.

Update 2:07 PM: We've heard from one customer who called Apple and was able to have his standard shipping upgraded free of charge to Next Day Shipping due to his travel plans, and his fourth-generation iPad order is now showing delivery on Friday, November 16.

(Thanks, Michael!)

Article Link: Cellular iPad Mini and iPad Models Arriving in U.S. Thanksgiving Week, AT&T Launching November 16?

Why people will be interested in this outdated spec?

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I can confirm the shipping on the 16th too.
Just called Apple and they moved my order to same time
since i am going overseas.

They changed my this morning to 21st but i got well compensated lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 12.31.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 12.31.36 AM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 11.47.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 11.47.48 PM.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
I called. Ordered a iPad 4 with 4g.

Told no way to change, all orders already being expedited as is. Expects I may received my order before I leave town for the Holidays. But nothing else they can do.

My deliver date is by Nov 23. Won't get home till 25th or 26th.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Figures. I had it shipped to work. I'm off that week. And I can't change the delivery address since the adapter I ordered with it already shipped.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
No way!!?!!?! lol, i mean sorry about your iPad mini....why were you holding it in your hand getting outta the car?? that's gotta be one of the most popular ways devices break lol

Yea, & I was planning on ordering my usual rubber back & screen protector when I got home.

I called Apple for the repair cost, and they said "Oh wow congratulations, you're our first broken screen call on the mini! ...but ah, sorry, that'll cost $219."

If the HD on my MBP hadn't self-destructed (a month out of warranty, yay!) and whitescreened me the night before & took a days work with it, I'd probably be less disappointed, but at this point my enthusiasm for fruity electronic gizmos has been replaced by a vague nauseous feeling.

Glockcubed

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
I called and changed my delivery to next day, she did it for free and as an extra bonus, she credited back the cost of my smart carrying case, $49.00 plus tax. What great customer service.:)

bhdragon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
I called. Ordered a iPad 4 with 4g.

Told no way to change, all orders already being expedited as is. Expects I may received my order before I leave town for the Holidays. But nothing else they can do.

My deliver date is by Nov 23. Won't get home till 25th or 26th.

Told the same thing...so how are others supposedly having their orders shipped overnight?

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
I've been using Skype over iPad for my only phone line ever since iPad 1 hit the shelves. Never tried it on speakerphone. I always just use the wired headphones, BT headset, or BT car system. Works fine.

Credit card protection?

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Just called and offered to pay for overnight shipping since I will be out of town for Thanksgiving. I was told there was no overnight or expedited option as apple sends them as fast as possible. He said the 21st is the soonest possible day to get it, even if I was out of town. He would not bump it to expedited at all... I call lies on the people that are claiming this.

Sinatrafan

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Told the same thing...so how are others supposedly having their orders shipped overnight?

Was told the same thing twice (two phone calls), that all LTE orders are all being expedited as is and that shipping couldn't be changed to 'expedited' or 'next-day'. I was told I could change shipping addresses, even though my order included an already-shipped lightning cord.

To those that were successful: how did you broach the topic, what what exactly did you ask?

s2obed

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
I too called and was told that there is no way to expedite my order. Photoshop lies..

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm still waiting for m iPhone 5.... I ordered it on October 19 with the 3-4 week shipping time and was given an estimated ship date of November 20-27, the same Thanksgiving week when the cellular iPad mini is expected to arrive on shelves. :(

Glockcubed

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
I called the 800 number:

Spoke to the automated system.

I asked about changing to next day delivery.

Automated dude says, I will get someone to help with that.

Very pleasant female gets call.

I asked how much to change my delivery to next day.

She said that should be no problem, however, it may not change that much. She entered the info and waited for a refresh. it changed my delivery by two days. She says, I know you have been waiting for the iPad4, I will also credit back the cost of your smart case.

I said thank you very much. Have a great day.

No lies here;)

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Just called and offered to pay for overnight shipping since I will be out of town for Thanksgiving. I was told there was no overnight or expedited option as apple sends them as fast as possible. He said the 21st is the soonest possible day to get it, even if I was out of town. He would not bump it to expedited at all... I call lies on the people that are claiming this.

I've spoken to 3 different reps, and they say that they can't change to expedited shipping. Oh, well.

ettd88

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2012
16th may be fake delivery pic

I just called 2 times different people both told me they can't change it so those images could be fake. The earliest we could get them is 21. Still while talking she said Apple Stores the earliest are gonna get them is to end of next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.