All iPads Cellular iPad Mini Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PCtoMAC1, Dec 7, 2013.

1. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Hello,
    I'm wondering if I should have purchased a cellular iPad Mini instead of a wifi one. I have an iPhone, though I'm not willing to part ways with my unlimited data plan. I was also initially going to just use my iPhone when I can't take my iPad along with me.

Are there any other "pluses" to having the cellular version? Can it do anything that the wifi only model cannot? Is it like an iPhone wherein you are hooked up to LTE all of the time unless you have wifi on? I would get the T Mobile version and just keep the free data on along with wifi if possible.

Thanks!

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Since you have unlimited data why don't you just tether your iPad from your iPhone (legally)? It's a whole lot easier then shelling $400 for the same device, just to have cellular data.

3. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Can't tether legally with unlimited data plan...

4. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

In my experience, tethering sucks the life out of my phone battery. Also having my iPad always up to date with emails and social media with out the faff of tethering is much easier I think. And worth the extra cash to me.

5. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Yeah, I can't tether on my unlimited AT&T plan. I don't use my iPad for business reasons. Any other opinions?

6. GoingDark macrumors 6502

The only real difference in functionality between the cellular and wifi-only version is that the cellular version also includes actual GPS (the wifi-only version uses wifi signals to approximate your location and is therefore pretty useless for real-time turn-by-turn navigation, for example).

I've had wifi-only iPads in the past but opted for cellular this time with the retina Mini because I take it with me everywhere. It works great as a hotspot, and I definitely use it when I'm out and about, but it doesn't really add that much extra functionality than the wifi model. In the end I'm happy with my choice but I would have probably been just as happy with the wifi version.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Following up to GoingDark's comment:

With cellular you essentially have greater "coverage" through FindMyiPhone if you should "misplace" the ipad and have a cellular plan enabled. (nobrainer given T-Mobile's 200MB free plan even if you otherwise don't need cell data)

Whether that's worth it is up to the end user, but it is a benefit of the cellular version vs. wifi.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I opted for the cellular rMini, I had the wifi version of the first gen mini and found I made a mistake. I love my mini but lack of internet access outside of wifi hampered me.

Yes, I could use my iPhone to create a hotspot and I did that on occasion but that really impacted my iPhone's battery. Plus if we were in the car and my kids wanted the iPad I couldn't be driving and try to set up the hotspot.

The monthly cost so far isn't horrendous, 10 bucks month on VZW shared plan, so for me its economical to go with the cellular model.

9. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I also went for the cellular version of the rMini and iPad Air for the convenience factor of not having to tether to my iPhone. Also if you purchase and add to your AT&T Mobile Share plan they will give you a $100 bill credit (I believe Verizon also gives a credit) with a 2 year commitment knocking down the $10.00 added monthly price to about $6.00. I can live with $6.00 a month for the added convenience. And if you don't use a lot of data when you are out and about, you can't go wrong with the free T-Mobile 200 MB of monthly data.