Cellular iPad Pro 9.7 essentially a dual sim device (it works too)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JayR, Apr 1, 2016.

1. JayR macrumors newbie

I just got the iPad Pro carrier unlocked. I have T-Mobile and Verizon data plans and figured why not try and see if both can be used. Inserted my Verizon SIM in the slot and used the embedded SIM for my T-Mobile plan. They both work! I was able to switch back and forth on the fly. Although the screen tends to get jumpy when it's in the process of switching SIM cards. image.png
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    Sorry, I forgot to attach the other screenshot

Attached Files:

2. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Excellent. That answers one of my main questions. And it also shows the T-mobile 200Mb free plan is still available (a 'Genius' at the Apple store claimed it was no longer available).

3. Ethingnow macrumors member

Is that the unlimited data for Verizon? I been wondering if I use my unlimited data cellular sim in an iPad cellular will I lose my unlimited data or will it work on iPad?

4. gottafly macrumors regular

That is AWESOME!!

Thanks for the post.

Now, if Apple would PLEASE do the same for the iPhone 7 I'll be thrilled!!

5. JayR thread starter macrumors newbie

No, unfortunately I gave up my unlimited plan with Verizon a few years back. I know that it used to work for me by pulling my VZW SIM and putting in a Verizon Tablet back then.
    I actually have the 5GB Data Match plan, but it shows the 200MB Free Plan right now. I'm assuming it will show the 5GB when the 200MB is exhausted.

6. Hey Now macrumors member

The 200 MB free T-Mobile plan is indeed available. I signed up on my new 9.7 Pro with no sweat at all. This data plan will keep it continuously connected for free, and if I want to do some serious data usage, I'll just connect to the Instant Hotspot of my iPhone. Did that today at work during lunch and was very easy.

7. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Is this feature exclusive to the 9.7" iPad Pro? I don't see the same settings in the Cellular section of my iPad Pro 12.9". Does this need some kind of activation routine? I bought mine direct from the Apple online store.

8. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have it for my Air 2, but I was worried it is no longer available. While not much, I use it to keep my iPad constantly online, and then when I need more data I add that (I also added the 5Gb/5 months plan).

That was one of my main concerns about upgrading to the Pro, loosing my 200 Mb. Now I will upgrade for sure.

9. Ethingnow macrumors member

So your telling me it can be done? I call Verizon to check and they tell me I will lose plan if I do that. And that it can't be done

10. JayR thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if it would still work. It used to work for me before but that was about 3 years ago. I didn't bother calling them I just took the SIM out of my phone and put it in the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 and it worked.

This doesn't work for T-Mobile as most people already know.
    It is only on the 9.7 Pro. They have an embedded Apple SIM on the Motherboard and a separate nano SIM slot for non-participating carriers.

11. Ethingnow macrumors member

Thanks for info I should try it to see for kicks