Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Still considering getting an iPad Mini 5 from Apple's website. Probably the WifI with cellular option. Now, it has one of those e-SIM's, right? As far as I understand you can use that e-SIM with any compatible carrier in the area I live, right? That is, I don't need a separate SIM card to put it, as long as it is compatible with the e-SIM. And that it won't be locked to that carrier, I am guessing.

So theoretically I can sign up for Verizon's one month to try it out. And the next month decide, "Let me try U.S. Cellular and see how their data connection is." Assuming they work with the e-SIM in my tablet in my area, correct?

Thanks for reading my dumb questions!

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Still considering getting an iPad Mini 5 from Apple's website. Probably the WifI with cellular option. Now, it has one of those e-SIM's, right? As far as I understand you can use that e-SIM with any compatible carrier in the area I live, right? That is, I don't need a separate SIM card to put it, as long as it is compatible with the e-SIM. And that it won't be locked to that carrier, I am guessing.

So theoretically I can sign up for Verizon's one month to try it out. And the next month decide, "Let me try U.S. Cellular and see how their data connection is." Assuming they work with the e-SIM in my tablet in my area, correct?

Thanks for reading my dumb questions!
Yes, I believe that they're all unlocked.

Reactions: brgjoe

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, they're unlocked. Verizon doesn't support eSIM on iPads yet so you'll need to get a Nano SIM for that.

iPad eSIM.png

Reactions: brgjoe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.