All iPads Cellular iPads obsolete

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DivergenceZero, Oct 20, 2014.

1. DivergenceZero macrumors newbie

Seems like to me with the advent of iOS 8.1, specifically Continuity, the cellular iPad as we know it seems completely redundant now.

You can pair your iPhone to your tablet and make calls/text smoothly thanks to the new features. In a situation where you have a tablet you usually have your phone around too.

What do you think? Did Apple shoot themselves in the foot here?

2. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Naa is what I think. I use my iPads away from home and don't want my iPhone tied up with a tether.

3. ee4life macrumors regular

I think there are a lot of people that use Android/Windows Phone that still recognize that the iPad is the measuring stick on that tablet side.

I think there are a lot of people that still have older, incompatible iPhones.

I think that Apple is giving people something that they are often (for right or wrong) chastised for withholding: options.

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I agree.
    I took a bit of flack a few months back when I stated an iPad is slightly crippled without cellular data.

My wording was probably poor, yet I kind of stand by it.

My wife and I recently spent some time in Cambria where WIFI is spotty at best and once again, was grateful to have LTE available on my iPad.

5. ThePuff macrumors member

Not for those of us who don't use smartphones.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. If you have a smartphone with an instant hotspot, there's really no reason to get a cellular iPad.

7. RLesko macrumors member

That is under the presumption that you have tethering enabled from your cellular provider.

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

This would be great if i didn't have an unlimited data plan and if I actually had the capacity to tether

9. flur macrumors 68000

The hit to the battery on the smartphone is enough of a reason for me.

10. iceperson macrumors 6502

I've found wifi only iPads are still missing some functionality even when tethered. Things like maps and navigation apps or photo geotagging didn't work. I'm sure there's other things that not having the GPS functionality might affect as well. Doesn't mean I'd spend the extra $$$ on a cellular iPad though.

11. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

I went with the Cellular Air2 as I see no reason to drain both devices to get the ipad online away from home. And for travel I like to have the option of using a different carrier on the ipad to make up for coverage gaps

12. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Not redundant for me. I've got an iPad mini grandfathered with the unlimited AT&T data plan for $29. I got rid of my smartphone a couple years ago, and haven't looked back. The iPad mini coupled with the iPod touch 5G is all I need to surf the web, make & recieve calls. I love it.

13. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I'm seriously considering a cellular iPad Air 2. I have a spare unlimited data line that I'll just toss its sim into the iPad. No more having to tether with my phone, etc.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I know first hand all too well how battery life drains with a iPad tether. Better for iPad to have its own lane.

15. urda Suspended

urda

With a celluar radio, an iPad can still phone home if lost or stolen.

With a celluar radio, an iPad has access to actual GPS information.

With a celluar radio, you are not killing the batter on your phone trying to tether to it from the iPad.

The list goes on, but "Cellular iPads obsolete" oh how wrong that concept is.

16. aneftp macrumors 601

I got my cellular ipad that I use my Verizon lte sim (unlimited unthrottled phone line (junk line). $30 plus $10 add a line plus 22% discount. So it cost me about $34/month give or take.

The beauty about Verizon unlimited phone sim in ipad is it enables hot spot as well automatically.

So no. Cellular iPads are not obsolete. It's a godsend cause I need it to tether my other wifi ipad in the car and hotels when traveling with the young kids.

The cellular ipad has fantastic battery life even when using the tethering mode.

17. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Not draining iPhone battery is more then worth getting a cellular iPad

Also, way too many times wifi is terrible in public places or isn't free in big cities like New York or many airports

18. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not. Personal hotspot drains battery and I don't think you are likely to connect is as often and take it out the house as you would with a cellular iPad.

19. yegon macrumors 68020

Ha, far from obsolete. Cellular iPads are great.

20. Maggiep67 macrumors regular

Maggiep67

I've always purchased wifi only iPads. I'll be upgrading to the Air 2 (hubby gets my Air as he is still on an iPad 3) and this time I am going cellular.

It's an enormous pain trying to find a hotspot or draining the battery on my iPhone. Since we have AT&T and I am bringing my own device, it will only cost me 10.00 extra per month. After my gov't discount, I will actually only pay 8.30 per month!!!!

Totally worth it!!!:D

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Right, or we simply DONT own an iPhone which believe it or not is a fairly large user base. Geesh. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, I would never buy an iPad without cellular support. I don't use it all the time but when I need it boy am I glad I got it! The 4G LTE through ATT is freegin fast too. :)

22. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I don't think they're obsolete. They still have their place. They'll never be as popular as the WiFi only version though.

23. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Don't you have to have an iPhone for this to work ? You know, not everyone has an iPhone :D.

24. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I think it's more like 'The people who browse these forums' who are more likely to purchase cellular. Of course, by no means exclusively, there are many regular consumers with one. However, the average consumer, with limited money is still going to purchase the 16GB WiFi iPad Air 2. Because, money is the most important and most can see the perceived benefit or spending an extra £100/$130.

25. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yup not on the is the upfront cost cheaper, people don't like having another 'bill'.