iPad Cellular nag help

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ct1211, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ct1211 macrumors 6502

Hello, I'm wondering if someone can help me. I'm "borrowing" an air 2 cellular from my dear friends the Apple Store for reading etc on a 2 week vacation. I grabbed the cellular version because I want to use the GPS keeping my phone free for looking up points of interest. Even though nothing has changed since I owned an iPad 2 I can't remember how to kill the nag to buy a cellular connection. I will be tethered to my Moto X hotspot. Also can I download google maps or if forced even Apple maps in case we travel outside cell tower range? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Do you mean you plan to use a cellular iPad for two weeks, then return it to the Apple Store for some bogus reason after you come back from your vacation, and never had any intention to buy it in the first place?

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i believe you just go to settings, cellular data, and turn it off and that should disable the nagging

yes you should be able to use google maps with the gps radio

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If that means what I think it means, then I hope you drop it. ;)

What has changed is the inclusion of the Apple SIM. Remove it, and the nag will go away.

No, both Google Maps and Apple Maps require a data connection to fully work. There are some offline maps available from Garmin, TomTom and others in the app store, but they cost money (around $25-$50, depending gone who you go with).

Apple Maps will do limited offline caching of basic maps and directions, if you establish a turn by turn route before losing signal. But, its ability to recover from spontaneous jaunts away from the route will be limited if you stray too far.