Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
I just got my first iPhone today. It's the 4S. I had to get the 300MB data plan because it's all I can currently afford. I will mainly use data with wifi.

My question: Are text messages included in the "Cellular Network Data" counter?

Right now my "Sent" data is showing 131KB and my "Received" is showing 295KB

I haven't gone online at all with my iPhone so I am just wondering what it could be from. I don't want to accidentally exceed my limit without even going online. I have used no apps that connect to the internet. All I have done is some texting and a phone call.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
It really doesn't matter whether there included or not, which they aren't because text messages are so, very, very small there insignificant when comparing them with 300mb's.

I wouldn't worry to much just don't download apps or music over cellular connection and just use cellular for web browsing/email and stuff and don't download big files and whatever unless your on wifi. For the average user 300mb's should be fine.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
Ok gotcha. I'm just wondering where it even came from? Does it use data just to check my data? Also, does iCloud syncing of address book contacts use data? That's all I enabled iCloud to do on my iPhone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok gotcha. I'm just wondering where it even came from? Does it use data just to check my data? Also, does iCloud syncing of address book contacts use data? That's all I enabled iCloud to do on my iPhone.

Yes, anything icloud will use data.
Also the iphone is a data hog. It uses up data without you even knowing. Crash reports back to apple or many other things. Email, or pressing the wether icon by accident etc.. it will use some without you knowing but I wouldnt worry or even bother trying to track 295kb of data use.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
Yes, anything icloud will use data.
Also the iphone is a data hog. It uses up data without you even knowing. Crash reports back to apple or many other things. Email, or pressing the wether icon by accident etc.. it will use some without you knowing but I wouldnt worry or even bother trying to track 295kb of data use.

Oh ok. Was hoping there might be a way to only have iCloud sync when my phone is using wifi. I removed the weather and stock ticker apps from the notification center. I also made a separate folder those apps so i don't accidentally open them. Is it safe to say that if i almost never go online with my phone unless i am on wifi that I shouldn't go over my 300MB limit? It's my first smartphone and I have an iPad 2 and an iPod touch 4th Gen so I am used to just going online with a device when I have wifi only.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
If you're close to hitting or going over your data plan or want to make sure you dont use up any carrier data you can shut it off here:
Settings/general/network/ cellular data OFF
Visual voicemail and mms will not work when its off though.
up to you.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
If you're close to hitting or going over your data plan or want to make sure you dont use up any carrier data you can shut it off here:
Settings/general/network/ cellular data OFF
Visual voicemail and mms will not work when its off though.
up to you.

Yeah, I just learned about that. Thanks though. I don't care about visual voicemail but I use MMS often. Also iMessage won't work if I shut my cellular data off. The thing that bums me out is that with my previous phone which was not a smartphone, I could send an MMS with a picture and it only counted towards my texting plan. With the iPhone it counts towards my cellular data. That stinks.

Last edited:

dsnows

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Virginia
Don't worry...295kb

You said your usage was 295 kb so far. Did you mean MBs? 295kb is nothing. Don't worry. I have unlimited data, and I use it heavily, including streaming radio, gps, email. I rarely exceed 300MB per month.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
You said your usage was 295 kb so far. Did you mean MBs? 295kb is nothing. Don't worry. I have unlimited data, and I use it heavily, including streaming radio, gps, email. I rarely exceed 300MB per month.

Cool thanks for your reply! Good to know. Yep I meant KB. Right now there is 4.5 hours left until its been 24 hours and my usage for the day do far is 1,017KB. I calculated that I can use about 9,000 KB of data per day and not exceed my 300 MB monthly limit.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah, I just learned about that. Thanks though. I don't care about visual voicemail but I use MMS often. Also iMessage won't work if I shut my cellular data off. The thing that bums me out is that with my previous phone which was not a smartphone, I could send an MMS with a picture and it only counted towards my texting plan. With the iPhone it counts towards my cellular data. That stinks.

You are correct.
No imessage either unless you're connected to wifi if you turn carrier data off.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
Screw it.

I decided to upgrade my data plan to 3 GB per month. It's the only other option AT&T gives. I feel that should be more than enough for me. My cousing is a heavy data user and he said he never goes over 2 GB

My bill will be about $10 more per week than what I used to pay, if my calculations are correct.

Problem solved (as long as I can afford it)

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.