Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I get that turning cellular off equals more battery life if the watch is using cellular...but does it equal more battery life if the watch is on wifi? How about if the watch is doing its 'tethered to the iphone' thing?

Reactions: arc of the universe

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I get that turning cellular off equals more battery life if the watch is using cellular...but does it equal more battery life if the watch is on wifi? How about if the watch is doing its 'tethered to the iphone' thing?
It's hard to measure as the Apple Watch switches between these connections automatically.. but here is a link describing how Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to connect to the paired iPhone.. including cellular connectivity.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I got best battery life possible by using my Apple Watch Series 4 in airplane mode only. Go figure.
Airplane mode can be configured to maintain tethered use with iPhone.
To me, tethered mode using Apple Watch is the least Battery intensive way to use Apple watch.

Reactions: arc of the universe

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I’ve had my watch on cellular for a while, and then, for a few months, canceled it, and then turned it back on. The amount of battery usage on cellular was very noticeable.

Is this bc of drain when you are doing stuff with no phone and the watch beyond wifi, or did it seem like having cellular on just comes with an inherent energy cost?

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Supposedly the Apple Watch will always use the most battery efficient method of connecting, so bluetooth to iPhone if in range, then wifi if no phone in range. Then cellular if no wife & no phone. And the other options connectivity are shot down while it's on the more efficient method (so it won't actively seek wifi networks if it's connected to a phone, etc).

I can't point to a specific document that says that (although I've seen this discussed many times here on the forums), but I do think it makes intuitive sense, as Apple tries to pack as much battery life as they can into the watch, without making it any thicker, and the cellular connection probably uses the most (or second most) battery life of all the battery drains in the watch.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Supposedly the Apple Watch will always use the most battery efficient method of connecting, so bluetooth to iPhone if in range, then wifi if no phone in range. Then cellular if no wife & no phone. And the other options connectivity are shot down while it's on the more efficient method (so it won't actively seek wifi networks if it's connected to a phone, etc).

I can't point to a specific document that says that (although I've seen this discussed many times here on the forums), but I do think it makes intuitive sense, as Apple tries to pack as much battery life as they can into the watch, without making it any thicker, and the cellular connection probably uses the most (or second most) battery life of all the battery drains in the watch.

Right here:

Reactions: jdb8167 and mk313
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.