Cellular ON versus Cellular OFF feature

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tpcollins, Nov 1, 2013.

1. tpcollins macrumors member

My wife and I were able to upgrade to iPhones this past Monday we have a shared plan with 2GB starting out. I've only accessed online items while in my house so I was thought it was working off my wireless router - which both phones have access for. But both of our phones under "Cellular" are showing data usage for this period.

So even if I'm sitting in my house, it seems I'm pulling usage off the 2G data plan instead thru of my WiFi router - correct? nIf so, I think we should keep Celluar Data feature in the off position and only turn it on when outside the house.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There's no way to tell exactly what data was used during what period - unless you brought the phone's straight home, and did not connect to anything while not at home and connected to wifi (you're sure you're logged into wifi on both phones?) then this data usage could have been while you were out of the house getting emails, etc..

3. tpcollins thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Tyler, but if the Cellular switch is ON and I'm sitting in my home within the range of the WiFi, which way am I accessing the internet? Thanks.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You should be accessing it via wifi.

To test which it's using, take a look at the current cellular usage on your phone. Then, do normal things while connected to your home wifi - surf the web, watch a Youtube video, etc. Now, check your cellular usage again. If it's gone up, it's for some reason been using your cellular network. However, this should not be the case.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Do you see the WiFi indicator in the status bar at the top left that shows that you are in fact connected and using WiFi?

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

when youre home and on wifi, it will use wifi data over cellular. are you sure its not accounting for data when youre away from wifi. i mean theres got to be times you leave the house right? also, check automatic updates for the app store and see if use cellular data" is checked. that could account for some larger accumulations of data when youre off wifi.