Cellular Over-the-Air App Download Limit Increased to 150 MB

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following the launch of iOS 11, Apple today announced that it has increased the cellular over-the-air app download limit from 100 MB to 150 MB, meaning users can now download apps and app updates that are as large as 150 MB over a cellular connection.

Apps and app updates over 150 MB will require users to connect to Wi-Fi for content to be downloaded.

It's been awhile since Apple last updated the cellular download limit. The last increase was introduced in 2013, increasing the 50 MB limit to 100 MB.

Apple has limits in place to avoid causing customers to unwittingly use high amounts of data when downloading apps, but the introduction of unlimited plans from all of the major carriers in the United States has likely alleviated some of those concerns.

Developers often aim to keep their app sizes under the cellular limit whenever possible to prevent customers from having to hassle with connecting to Wi-Fi to download an app or app update.

Article Link: Cellular Over-the-Air App Download Limit Increased to 150 MB

2. mrbrown macrumors 6502a

I wish they would just lift this arbitrary restriction and let the end user decide whether or not to use cellular. I have an unlimited data plan - let me use it!

3. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

There must be some serious back door deals between Apple and the carriers if they have a limit at all. Why not leave it up to the customer how they use their data?!?!?

4. petsounds, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

petsounds macrumors 65816

Probably to appease makers of bloated apps like Facebook. Another appeasement to VIP bloated apps is the iOS 11 App Store no longer showing app sizes unless you drill down into the detail screen.

edit: It appears Facebook's latest version is actually 222mb, soo...I don't know who this helps.

5. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Since iOS 9 you've had the option to download apps over that size, you just have to accept the dialog that pops up warning you the apps are larger.

6. RayLancer macrumors member

Meanwhile T-Mobile has upped their throttling limit to 50GB. But still can’t download large apps or updates.

7. 33man macrumors 6502

Yes but the app should use the app slicing functionality

8. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

I agree. Same with video quality on YouTube. Cmon!

9. QuarterSwede, Sep 19, 2017

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just a warning for those on limited plans, I turned on cellular updates after the last size increase and was wondering why I went over my limit for several months. I thought it was my audio streaming. Nope. I turned off cellular and haven’t gotten close since and have restarted using audio streaming plenty. Be careful if you enable it.

10. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

People arent idiots, Apple. Not just that, but I have 20gb per month in the UK, so I have plenty of data.

11. adamjackson macrumors 68000

You're a commenter on MacRumors meaning you're way more technical than Grandma at this stuff. Anyone participating in a technical discussion online isn't why these limits exist.

12. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Fair point

13. Jomppa macrumors member

One of the reaaons i still have home line is cause i cant download/upload everything through my unlimited data on phone :( stupid limits

14. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Apple thinks you shouldn't download more than 150MB of apps over cellular.

But they have no problem letting someone stream a Netflix movie at over 1,000MB over cellular.

:confused:

15. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Facebook is tooooo bloated

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

God forbid us customers take responsibility for our own cellular usage, Apple..

Like you, I am hoping for the day when we can update any app over cellular if we want to.

17. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

This sucks. The App Store no longer discloses the size of updates. I'd like to know the actual size before I update over cellular.

18. Lewclarke93 macrumors newbie

Lewclarke93

It's a good start but this limit needs removing (or at least an option) completely. I'm in the UK and don't have WiFi at home as the internet speeds available here are awful, so I use an unlimited 4G plan. I easily use over 100GB a month with tethering, Netflix HD streaming etc. with no issue which works great. Until that is I need an apple iOS/app update.

19. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I used to put in feature request that would allow us to stop data after a certain amount is used up along with being able to set when your billing cycle starts over. They still haven’t added it. Don’t think they ever will.

20. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

21. fairuz, Sep 19, 2017

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Yay, now I can download the Facebook app over LTE /s
    Edit: Oh wait, I still can't.

22. Eorlas macrumors 6502

It's certainly not a software limitation. Jailbreak tweaks were made to circumvent this a long, long time ago by people who are not paid nearly as much as Apple's own engineers.

23. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

It absolutely IS a software limitation, what u smoking? The TWEAKS circumvent the software limitation. LOL. Welcome!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    There's no reason for Apple to limit it but for the fact that Apple and the carriers stuck up a back room deal to limit it to allow networks to go a bit longer without upgrading their backhaul. Once again, we pay for mediocrity in American networks.

24. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Why not allow users to override this? Give the pop up, explain it, and then override it. I have unlimited data. I'm not going to download 1TB of data, but maybe update an app that 151MB.

25. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Pretty sure the bandwidth per day of App Store downloads is nothing in comparison to what the LTE networks already serve. I honestly can't think of why there is this limitation other than maybe to encourage app devs to keep their stuff below the limit.