Cellular voice call quality?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iFoggy, Jul 14, 2014.

1. iFoggy macrumors member

Hi,

Does any one have feedback in that they have experienced a degradation with normal voice calls?

I guess it is so hard to pin point because it can be signal strength, location etc but I am just finding on iOS 8 that callers are just struggling to hear me....or not because it could be so many other factors.

I am on Vodacom in South Africa

Thanks

2. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

AT&T in the USA and everything seems to be fine.

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

5. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

I'm having massive issues with mine
    On Telecom New Zealand

Has seem to be getting worse, to the point where now no1 can hear me at all

6. iFoggy thread starter macrumors member

Did a little test...

Called someone and asked about call quality, was told it was cr@p
    Took a colleagues iPhone 5s sim, inserted it and called the same person

Call quality was unbelievable, even I could hear the difference.

Just come back from doing a sim swap, fingers crossed

7. gumbyjunior1 macrumors regular

gumbyjunior1

So is it working????
    The suspense is getting too much!

8. iFoggy thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha yes it would appear that my call quality has improved, tough to say after only a few calls, but those that I have made seems clear to me and the receivers say there is no more 'static / crackle' as well

9. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

The best call quality I've experienced since 1999 (when I and family had genuine Qualcomm phones and voice was analog without compression with zero delay - sounded better than being in the same room) has been when each party has a 5s and are both on T-mobile with strong LTE reception and low ping time - at night. It goes to "HD voice" mode (ie a less overcompressing codec and full instead of half-duplex) and sounds very good. About 60% of where we were fifteen years ago.

10. iFoggy thread starter macrumors member

I concur with the continued decline in the mobile operators voice quality, often I will attempt to try a voice call, drop it because it is so bad and use FaceTime audio and be astounded by how much better the quality is...problem for us in South Africa is that data costs are so exorbitant so data usage is at a premium

11. 827538 macrumors 65816

Data costs are pretty bad everywhere but I wouldn't go as far to say exorbitant here in the UK. 4GB of data with unlimited calls and texts on a 4G SIM will cost £20-£25. Personally I wish I could get 10GB 4G plus unlimited calls and texts for £20/month :rolleyes:, but fat chance of that happening.

12. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Yeah let's not mention the cost of data in the USA.

13. campyguy macrumors 68040

I'm on Verizon and ATTWS in the US, and use an iPhone 5 on both networks with one handset on iOS 7 and iOS 8 on each network. I've noted a bit poorer voice quality while using iOS 8 handsets, but also noticed that the carrier profiles are older on both iOS 8 handsets - which might not mean anything.

That written, the best call quality I get on each of my handsets is while using Facetime audio calls - period. On my Verizon handsets, the only calls I get clear calls are while roaming on the US Cellular network - I can definitely tell the difference between USCC and Verizon. ATTWS calls are usually crap - and I've got a tower about 300 meters/320 yards from my office.

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Voice Quality is excellent on T-Mobile's Network, especially on voLTE [ voice over LTE ]

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Interestingly I've seen some reviews claiming Sprint has by far the best voice quality (Verizon is ALWAYS worst) but I'd rather die than ever give any money to those bastards.

16. 827538 macrumors 65816

I have to say there's some things I'm glad for living over here in the UK rather than across the pond. Fixed home ISP's and mobile contracts being two of them... When ISP's can lobby to get net neutrality over ruled which is unquestionably against every single persons interests then you know you've got a ********* government. Not too mention your internet and contracts cost a fortune and offer pretty poor speeds and coverage.

While here it isn't perfect I'm actually pretty happy with my carrier and ISP, just a shame O2 never seem to bother implementing new stuff like HD audio and we will have to see if they will bother with WiFi calling... Doesn't matter as I'll be ditching them next year anyway.

17. stoney05 macrumors regular

Well England is about the size of Oregon. So I understand why you guys have faster broadband than us.

18. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

And 20 times the population. :)