All iPads Cellular vs WiFi - tethering/resale

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andy9l, Feb 17, 2014.

1. andy9l macrumors 68000

Hi all,

Managed to sell my iPad 2 last week for a bit more than I was expecting. It took a while to sell, however, and it was the 64GB 3G model.

I'm looking at buying a new Retina Mini this week (via work, hence prices), and my options are:

- 64GB WiFi for £140
    - 64GB Cellular for £240

So, how many people actually buy the cellular model iPads? Are they more desirable than WiFi, after factoring in extra cost? I'm thinking about resale in a year or two.

I don't personally need the cellular model as I have a truly unlimited 4G data contract for my 5s, so I'm happy to tether. Tethering allows for >50mbps, right?

Thanks for any advice.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My .$02 - if you don't need the cellular model, then don't buy it. I'd get the model that best suits your needs.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Totally up to the individual. I decided to go with a cellular model this time and I have used it a few times. Honestly, not sure if I'd do it again but I still need to see how it plays out. If your iPad will be traveling with you a good portion of the time then I suggest getting the cell data. If most use is at home then you can probably skip it.

Cell data is like an insurance policy: you hate paying for it but it's wonderful to have if you really need it.

As for resale, I'm pretty sure the cell models get more than wifi only devices.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've never seen the point in having two data plans, so have always bought the highest capacity wifi only models...I can tether, but I've only done that once.

I'm never far from wifi, even Asda( Walmart) here in the UK now have free wifi, and the city centre is covered too. Hence I really don't need a cellular version...I guess with your discount it might make some sense from a resale point if view, but my next one will be a 128GB IPad Air.

5. andy9l thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the replies.

If there's no real resell benefits to the cellular model, I'll stick with Wi-Fi only. My phone contract allows me to tether, and is unlimited 4G data.

My last question is: What's the maximum transfer speed between a Retina iPad Mini tethered to an iPhone 5s via Wi-Fi? Presumably it exceeds average 4G speeds (~60-75mbps where I am). I want the bottleneck to be the iPhone's 4G connection, not the iPhone -> iPad data transfer speed, obviously.