CELtx - do you use it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Jan 10, 2011.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

My mother in law introduced me to CELtx and swears by it. their little buy in packs seem cheap enough and the software looks like it could be useful. Anyone ever used it for a larger project? Looks like it would be awesome to team up with an iPad and sync them day to day.

I am asking about it before I do a big project on it only to find out X,Y,Z.

2. smokescreen76 macrumors member

I've looked at it and it does like it might be perfect for some people. I know a few people who use it.

My only problem is that it uses it's own proprietary file format and that files are stored online. If anything happens to CeltX as a company you might lose all your work.

I personally use Final Draft - I know it also has it's own file format but it's a much more established company.

I like the look of Movie Magic Screenwriter and the applications which work with it.

3. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

what about final draft

what do you like about final draft? is it at all like celtx?

4. jwheeler macrumors regular

Ive just switched to celtx from final draft. Two reasons:
    1. It's free (so I can use it legally for commercial gains)
    2. It has pre-production tools like:
      • Scripting (obviously)
      • Script breakdown (w/ loads of other reports too)
      • Story boarding
      • shot lists
      • And all sorts of inventory systems.
    I think this will be very useful :)

5. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I'm thinking about selling my macbook for an ipad and using celtx or final draft on the ipad. I think celtx has an ipad app for 10 bucks. That'd be nice on set and to carry around.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Id just like to say thanks for hilighting this software, as Ive just (as of today) switched across from a blend of Final Draft, Pages (just for initial ideas) and scribbles on various bits of paper and OneNote notebooks (I have a Tablet PC :eek: ) - definitely a good software product, and it means I can slowly phase my PC back to just being for notes in class and not in my workflow (Its also nice having it all in 1 place that I can send to any collaborators I have) - great find :D.

7. jwheeler macrumors regular

The ipad/iphone version doesn't contain the pre production part of celtx. For that reason i'd get an app called "Screenplay". Its cheaper and has the same effect. But to be honest, you wouldn't need script writing software on set. I have "DSLR Slate" which is good for audio sync and giving information on camera settings. I also have "Assistant Director" too but it has no syncing ability with anything like celtx. So you have to type everything yourself.

Haha I switched today too :p

8. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Since you're asking... here's my gripes about Celtx:

- It's kind of a rip off for the monthly service. It's a real pain to cancel, and the server is slow and sometimes down.

- They're horribly slow at fixing bugs...First of all, the fact that I found two bugs while using it for a large movie project, was not cool... A solid program that's this developed by now should not have such big bugs. I submitted those bug reports back in July, and they still have yet to be fixed. :rolleyes:

- Instead of buying for their service, just use DropBox...that's what I'm going to do next time...free, and way better in every way.

Some other annoying things:
    - In order to see the changes other calibrators make on your project, you have to restart Celtx, and re-open the project...very annoying.

- Also don't use the storyboard feature...if you put too many pictures in it, it will not open and will just crash the project. It's a real pain to recover old backups and such....

So overall, Celtx is ok for most stuff, but don't fall for their $4a/mo service. It's not worth it at all. It's got some glitches....it crashes sometimes...but hey, it's free.

9. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

wtf? word processor?

um....
    final draft seems REALLY basic. LIke... a word processor. :p
    celtx seems to have more features but I don't see why you HAVE TO subscribe to the online service...

10. jwheeler macrumors regular

Thanks to the guy above, i've just started using drop box too :)

But not all of what we do will be collaborative. :p

11. smokescreen76 macrumors member

Final Draft is purely a script writing application - yes, a word processor.

But it is the industry standard and means you don't have to worry about formatting. All you have to do is worry about being brilliant.