Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Several times I’ve had my posts moderated with **** (yes, 4 *’s) removed - including again today.

Why?

I’m all in favor of using stars to hide expletives, but what’s the point in using that if they get further modded and even the *’s get removed.

I was not aware that **** was a forbidden word...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Several times I’ve had my posts moderated with **** (yes, 4 *’s) removed - including again today.

Why?

I’m all in favor of using stars to hide expletives, but what’s the point in using that if they get further modded and even the *’s get removed.

I was not aware that **** was a forbidden word...
I believe if you are going to use profanity, then use it. If the profanity filter let's the word fly you are home free. If the profanity filter replaces the word with asterisks...so be it. Either way I believe there is a rule against trying to circumvent the profanity filter. Four asterisks could be seen as circumventing the profanity filter. So then, just let it fly.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
I believe if you are going to use profanity, then use it. If the profanity filter let's the word fly you are home free. If the profanity filter replaces the word with asterisks...so be it. Either way I believe there is a rule against trying to circumvent the profanity filter. Four asterisks could be seen as circumventing the profanity filter. So then, just let it fly.

The rule, as I understand it, is that you can’t miss letters out, or star just one letter etc. anything that makes it clear what the word is.

Profanity. The profanity filter is there for a reason. Do not circumvent it by using the language we intend to exclude or disguising those words. If a word is replaced by asterisks when you Preview or Submit a post, you know it's on the list.

Reactions: I7guy

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I believe if you are going to use profanity, then use it. If the profanity filter let's the word fly you are home free.

I agree, but the profanity filter has let me post stuff that gets moderated (as in, it wasn't filtered) :D

Either way I think the **** marks are stupid.

1. they're words, deal with it
2. hiding them with * doesn't remove the ability to see what was posted in context.
3. it's possible to be far more hurtful with FAR more cutting remarks, without using profanity - if that's actually your objective and you have a working command of the English language.

But I don't make the rules here, so... ?‍♂️

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The rule, as I understand it, is that you can’t miss letters out, or star just one letter etc. anything that makes it clear what the word is.
Correct... just go ahead and type the full word and if that word is on the profanity filter list, the forum software will change the word to the asterisks. Does that answer your question? Or am I missing it?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Correct... just go ahead and type the full word and if that word is on the profanity filter list, the forum software will change the word to the asterisks. Does that answer your question? Or am I missing it?
Follow up question given that I naturally swear quite a bit. Does the filter exist so there isn’t any rule breaking in the sense that “you’re not going to get in trouble, that’s why the filter is there”?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Follow up question given that I naturally swear quite a bit. Does the filter exist so there isn’t any rule breaking in the sense that “you’re not going to get in trouble, that’s why the filter is there”?
Exactly... just say whatever you want and if it is something we consider profanity it will get filtered, if not the word will appear and it will not be a rule violation.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017

Sorry, but your missing it. I’ve now had at least two posts edited by a mod where the ****’s where deleted (yes, the actual stars, not the word).

e.g. Where I’d written “you’re **** out of luck” (where I had expressly used 4 * symbols) it was changed by a mod to “you’re out of luck”.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry, but your missing it. I’ve now had at least two posts edited by a mod where the ****’s where deleted (yes, the actual stars, not the word).

e.g. Where I’d written “you’re **** out of luck” (where I had expressly used 4 * symbols) it was changed by a mod to “you’re out of luck”.
Ah gotcha.... I don't know what is going on with that. Collect up links to the posts and send it in to the admins using the contact us process and they can find out what happened for you.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I agree, but the profanity filter has let me post stuff that gets moderated (as in, it wasn't filtered) :D

Either way I think the **** marks are stupid.

1. they're words, deal with it
2. hiding them with * doesn't remove the ability to see what was posted in context.
3. it's possible to be far more hurtful with FAR more cutting remarks, without using profanity - if that's actually your objective and you have a working command of the English language.

But I don't make the rules here, so... ?‍♂️
The filter is actually quite valuable in saving your soul from eternal damnation...

(note to self: "damnation" is not filtered...)

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

If you're using asterisks to replace letters in a word you know wouldn't be allowed, you're defeating the purpose of the filter (any technically circumventing the filter, though of course your intention is to follow the rules!). Just type the word, and if it's not allowed, the filter will take care of it.

Edited for clarity: Feel free to just type the word, the filter will take care of any needed asterisks :cool:

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
If you're using asterisks to replace letters in a word you know wouldn't be allowed, you're defeating the purpose of the filter (any technically circumventing the filter, though of course your intention is to follow the rules!). Just type the word, and if it's not allowed, the filter will take care of it.

Edited for clarity: Feel free to just type the word, the filter will take care of any needed asterisks :cool:

Which is fine, but the question is why were the ****’s in my post then further deleted by a moderator some time later?

Sadly I’m having a hard time finding the recent post in question - or else I’d have submitted a Contact Us ticket.

The question is though, is it MR policy to manually further delete ****’s from users posts?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Moved from the site redesign thread, since this seems like a better ****ing place :D

I'd love a settings/profile switch to disable the swear filter, you know, from my perspective. On by default for everyone, but for those of us who kind of like to see a little colorful language, we could take in the full beauty of a perfectly timed F-Bomb.

And this one was in response to someone wondering if the original text is stored or parsed/replaced on the fly ...

I think this system does it in real time, or maybe I was drunk ... let me test it ...

This ****ing site rocks!

Yep, it stores the original, uncensored text. If I edit the post above, it's the full f___ word :) That makes sense as you might want to be able to tweak the word list, and apply new / remove old filters.

Hahaha, also need a user based word list, because I do not want to see the word squirrel anymore ..

• Haha
Reactions: CarlJ and 0920872

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Could guess at the outset where this thread was heading.
1594937131309.png

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Which is fine, but the question is why were the ****’s in my post then further deleted by a moderator some time later?

Sadly I’m having a hard time finding the recent post in question - or else I’d have submitted a Contact Us ticket.

The question is though, is it MR policy to manually further delete ****’s from users posts?

I understood, I just wanted to use the opportunity to explain. We can see all posts, including deleted posts, so please do send a contact so we can discuss this particular issue of specific moderation.

Reactions: TiggrToo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.