Centris 619 and Power PC 6500...old...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Palmer5555, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Palmer5555 macrumors newbie

...yes, old.

I want to delete all the hidden files on these machines. I have dumped everything in the trash and emptied the trash. I have no disks with these and they are for sale on eBay. Probably should have done this first...Anyway, are there any system utilities on these machines that will delete files even if they have been deleted in the trash? I know they are still lurking somewhere hidden on the hard drive and I just want to make sure they are all gone. I have no manuals either...

Thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You need a boot up disc (CD or floppy) to boot to and then run Disk Utility (yes, that was still the name of it way back then) to zero out the drive.
    EDIT: Obviously achieving this solution will be quite difficult and I would resort to my other solution of "Not worrying about it". Any of your erased data isn't really retrievable.

3. MacTech68, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Older Norton Utilities had a program called WipeInfo. An option within that was to "Wipe Free Space".

If you've already trashed the files (and emptied the trash), I wouldn't be too concerned. Whilst they may be recoverable, I seriously doubt anybody's going to go to that trouble.

However, you could copy a heap of innocuous data to the free space on the drive and then trash it (and empty the trash). That would overwrite the sensitive deleted data. You'd need to ALMOST fill the drive and then quickly delete it. Be warned that running out of space can begin to corrupt the directory structure. :eek:

Good luck with your sale.
    ________
    vapor genie review