Centris--keep or sell?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tigerlili813, Nov 17, 2012.

1. tigerlili813 macrumors newbie

Mac Centris in its original box...and it still works. I took good care of it and am the original owner. The last time I set it up (around a year ago) it worked great. Sell or keep? Does anyone know what it's worth?

I even have the HP laser printer that I used to use with it.

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Prices

Prices are subjective, also the model can make a difference. The centris line is not the most highly sought after. I got a 610 for free last week. At this point I'm just trying to keep them all running as I have quite a few.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It depends...

Will you get any use out of it? If not, sell it.

But be warned that (as havokalien says,) it's not worth a lot. Maybe $25 if you clean it up and 'market' it right.

But it all comes down to if you have any use for it.

4. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

It also depends a lot on the model and CPU/FPU

I have an old Centris 650 with an '040 + FPU and it's essentially identical to the Quadra 650. My only issue with mine is no built-in CD-Rom drive. I have an old compatible drive, but the bezel is hard to come by for some odd reason.

I keep it around for my retro Mac games using an external 2x NEC drive that still uses caddies! :eek:

5. csixty4 macrumors regular

A Centris isn't going to put your kids through college, but it will buy you a nice meal. People with nostalgia for that era in Apple's history usually skipped their low-end offerings and at least got one of the comparable Quadra models.

If you are thinking of selling, I'm looking for a Centris 610 with an AAUI networking port (the cheapest model didn't have one) or a 10 base-T ethernet card. I learned to build web sites on one back in 1996 and I've been wanting one for my collection. Although I don't want to pay a lot to ship one to Boston.