Ceramic Apple Edition series 4?

Mishabella

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
Hey guys!!

I have a ceramic series 3 that I love!!! It is durable and looks perfect since the day I bought it and I have worn it everyday from over a year.

I love the look if the new series 4, of course, but I hate that gold!!! Hate it. I know a lot of people are lovers of it, but I just can’t.

Anyways, is there any rumors about Apple bringing the ceramic back to the watch line?! Maybe in the series 5?

Thanks guys!!

Reactions: niji

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Hey guys!!

I have a ceramic series 3 that I love!!! It is durable and looks perfect since the day I bought it and I have worn it everyday from over a year.

I love the look if the new series 4, of course, but I hate that gold!!! Hate it. I know a lot of people are lovers of it, but I just can’t.

Anyways, is there any rumors about Apple bringing the ceramic back to the watch line?! Maybe in the series 5?

Thanks guys!!
Yep! https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/17/apple-watch-2019-ceramic-ecg/

Reactions: Mishabella

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
^ I’m skeptical of Ming Kuo’s prediction about the ceramic. I know Apple discontinued it for the Series 4, but I don’t believe that they will re-introduce it for the Series 5. My only question would be, why would they discontinue it and re-introduce it later on? (Unless there was a supply constraint or discrepancy.) I think Apple realized the ceramic wasn’t producing enough revenue, that’s why it was discontinued it, which doesn’t make sense to me why they would re-introduce it for the Series 5.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
I won't get anything other than white ceramic - had a s2 and will cling to my s3 until they return!

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
^ I’m skeptical of Ming Kuo’s prediction about the ceramic. I know Apple discontinued it for the Series 4, but I don’t believe that they will re-introduce it for the Series 5. My only question would be, why would they discontinue it and re-introduce it later on? (Unless there was a supply constraint or discrepancy.) I think Apple realized the ceramic wasn’t producing enough revenue, that’s why it was discontinued it, which doesn’t make sense to me why they would re-introduce it for the Series 5.
Perhaps they had issues making ceramic work the Series 4 design as it's far more rounded and has even more tapering towards the screen. They may have ironed that out, or just decided to not taper as much, like they did with the Series 3.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Perhaps they had issues making ceramic work the Series 4 design as it's far more rounded and has even more tapering towards the screen. They may have ironed that out, or just decided to not taper as much, like they did with the Series 3.
Valid observation. And I agree, maybe it was something to do with the larger display and the casing that portrayed a problem using the ceramic. But being that Ming Kuo Believes the ceramic could re-return, then maybe it has a chance. The question is, when does Series 5 launch, this fall or later on?

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Valid observation. And I agree, maybe it was something to do with the larger display and the casing that portrayed a problem using the ceramic. But being that Ming Kuo Believes the ceramic could re-return, then maybe it has a chance. The question is, when does Series 5 launch, this fall or later on?
I think fall, Apple seem to have chosen to release the watches along with new iPhones now. Makes sense as it’s just an extension of the iPhone anyway.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 68030
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I loved my white ceramic series 3 but the lure of the Series 4 with its larger screen and huge gain in performance enticed me to upgrade to the S4 SSSB. If the series 5 comes in ceramic, I will be seriously tempted to go back to ceramic. The one downside about it is the financial depreciation which is over 50% in just 12 months and that's a lot for a £1300 watch.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I loved my white ceramic series 3 but the lure of the Series 4 with its larger screen and huge gain in performance enticed me to upgrade to the S4 SSSB. If the series 5 comes in ceramic, I will be seriously tempted to go back to ceramic. The one downside about it is the financial depreciation which is over 50% in just 12 months and that's a lot for a £1300 watch.
Indeed, that's why I didn't sell mine to go for a Series 4.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If Apple were to separate the watch launches, I think the watches would hold value better. But being that they literally are on an annual release right now, it absolutely destroys the resale value for the older models when the new one is announced under 12 months.

More specifically, the problem with the ceramic model on the used market, nobody wants it, because when you sell the ceramic watch used for half The retail value of what it’s worth, the average consumer likely thinks ‘I can just purchase a brand new Apple Watch cheaper and it still has the same watchOS.’

The only advantage to the ceramic model, is the casing, that’s it. And for the average consumer, they just don’t see the value in that, which is why it struggles on the used market. [The stainless is in the situation.]

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

Mishabella

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
If Apple were to separate the watch launches, I think the watches would hold value better. But being that they literally are on an annual release right now, it absolutely destroys the resale value for the older models when the new one is announced under 12 months.

More specifically, the problem with the ceramic model on the used market, nobody wants it, because when you sell the ceramic watch used for half The retail value of what it’s worth, the average consumer likely thinks ‘I can just purchase a brand new Apple Watch cheaper and it still has the same watchOS.’

The only advantage to the ceramic model, is the casing, that’s it. And for the average consumer, they just don’t see the value in that, which is why it struggles on the used market. [The stainless is in the situation.]
This is so true!! I thought about selling mine for about a week. Really went through the pros and cons. But in the end, obviously, my S3 ceramic won out. I don’t care about the larger screen. I need a watch that is durable yet beautiful like the ceramic. This thing looks so good almost a year and a half later. I had the SS and HATED it. It looked like crap after a couple weeks. I admit I am very hard on my watch. I use it for daily activities and for sleep tracking. So the value of the ceramic really appeals to me. I would buy a S5 in a heartbeat and still keep my S3, or give it to a family member.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
This is so true!! I thought about selling mine for about a week. Really went through the pros and cons. But in the end, obviously, my S3 ceramic won out. I don’t care about the larger screen. I need a watch that is durable yet beautiful like the ceramic. This thing looks so good almost a year and a half later. I had the SS and HATED it. It looked like crap after a couple weeks. I admit I am very hard on my watch. I use it for daily activities and for sleep tracking. So the value of the ceramic really appeals to me. I would buy a S5 in a heartbeat and still keep my S3, or give it to a family member.
I never experienced the ceramic, but mainly there are those who have only positive things to say about the casing and its durability. Owning the stainless, it does scratch really easy, unless somebody wants the space black stainless, which really helps against minor scratches and scuffs.

If Apple does bring back the ceramic, I would like to see them have it somewhat lower of a price, but that’s likely not going to be a reality.

@KarimLeVallois brought up a good point, and mentioned that maybe the ceramic wasn’t used for the Series 4 as an option, because of manufacturing technicalities with a larger display, and maybe they have that worked out based on the most recent rumor.