Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
I was considering going from the series 1 to the series 3 (without LTE) and noticed that the base Series 3 does not have a ceramic backing.

What does the ceramic backing do other then being a stronger material? Its only going to be in contact with my skin.
Can someone explain the ceramic benefits?

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I would never get the composite back, at least for me, my original watch had scratches.

Fast forward to series 2 with ceramic and it’s as clean as the day I got it.

There is a chance I might not even activate the cellular, but for $70 more am definitely getting the cellular with ceramic back. Oh and you can also get the new nylon band only with the cellular model.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
There is discussion of this in this thread. The ceramic is not prone to scratches and does not become cloudy over time, as some users have reported. It's a higher quality material and some have said it feels better on their skin as well.

I noticed the S3 LTE Apple Watch Sport also comes with an extra 8GB of storage (for a total of 16GB) so it seems for $70 more, you're getting the ceramic back, 8GB more of storage, and LTE functionality (for a monthly cost).

Apple is getting what they want - I am buying the LTE version of the Apple Watch Sport because I want the higher quality material but have no intention of using LTE. At least I'll have the option to should I change my mind down the road.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would never get the composite back, at least for me, my original watch had scratches.

Fast forward to series 2 with ceramic and it’s as clean as the day I got it.

There is a chance I might not even activate the cellular, but for $70 more am definitely getting the cellular with ceramic back. Oh and you can also get the new nylon band only with the cellular model.

I See quite a few forum members opting to purchase the LTE model and not activating It. Not a bad option if somebody wants a higher end model without utilizing certain functionalities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.