Ceramic iPhone 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPad Retina, Sep 19, 2016.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hi, since there was an Apple Watch in Ceramic, do you guys think there will be a ceramic iPhone 8? Do you guys think there will be an 10 year anniversary one?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Sure, why not :) It's a rumor until it's being sold. 50% chance I get it right.

3. maxsix, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I don't care what they use. Just deliver a properly tested, fully functional iPhone.

If Apple can muster the courage to do their best work, it'll be the finest smartphone ever.

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

If the 7 and iOS 10 is any indication of the direction they are goin. I hope they reconsider. Some strange decisions are made that dont' require courage - just required "but i want it to be like that" ..

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It's hard to say. I think if the price point is reasonable, then maybe. But remember, Ceramic is also very prone to shattering. Apple would have to incorporate some form of bonding to keep the ceramic from suffering from this concern.

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I can see it now... ala white iPhone 4 series. When the white iPhone 4 came out it was like the unicorn, super super hard to get. This would make a lot of sense tho since white is apple's color. I.e. iPod, MacBook etc.

Attached Files:

7. Alexrat1996 Suspended

I will buy it only if my girlfriend is cool with the color or else I will stick with jet black

8. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

A white iPhone 5C

9. foxconn Suspended

i can see a high gloss white that they'll call "snow"

ceramic? prob not.. too expensive.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If the do ceramic and don't vastly increase the price I'd like o hear the reasoning behind the ceramic Apple Watch running for over a grand...

11. HaydenWI macrumors member

Based on some of the rumors I certainly won't be surprised if it's offered, especially since Apple is already working with ceramic in the Apple Watch.

Apple loves paving the way in design and this would be a big "new" selling point. It looks there is one phone that uses a ceramic back (Xiami Mi5), but nothing mainstream.

Great demo of it's incredible resistance to scratches.

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Great video.

Of even greater significance is what it represents. It proves Xiaomi is years ahead of Apple, a stunning achievement for the only six year old Chinese company.

With innovations like this for Apple to copy it reduces Apple's R&D expenditure immensely. In addition it removes the fear they have of taking chances, something that Apple didn't use to worry about.

Going forward there's a plethora of ideas implemented by Android smartphone makers, ripe for Apple "to borrow".

13. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Holy crap. Where can I buy one that works on Verizon?

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't see them doing it because ceramic is substantially more expensive. There's a reason why the ceramic AW is an Apple Watch Edition.

Sapphire or even liquidmetal is more likely.

16. MrBukey macrumors regular

Someone get JerryRigEverything one... He'll "scratch it with a no. 6 pick".... ;);););)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist....!)

In all seriousness, that's some beating the phone takes....