certain file types still being associated with parallels even after uninstall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashjamben, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

hope some of you guys can help me out on this one

i'm abit ocd with stuff on my computer, so stuff like this really bothers me. i had parallels one my computer for a little while whilst i needed windows. now i don't i got rid of the partition and uninstalled parallels. but, .exe files and some other files still show the parallels logo, as if it wants to open them in parallels.

is there any way i can change this? i've removed everything i can think of in preferences, application support, startup items, receipts, etc to do with parallels but to no avail. please help! :)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you want to set (or change) a default application for a certain file type, right click on one of the files and select 'Get Info'

In the “Get Info” options, you can easily select which application you would like to be the default for opening your file by clicking "open with".

After selecting the default app for the single file, apply it to all files of the same type by clicking on the “Change All” button in that same Get Info window.

Choose to apply to all files of this type.

3. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reply

i know i can do that, but what bothers me if that i have uninstalled parallels, but somewhere on my machine it's still there. i just want to get rid of it all, i dont know why but it really bothers me.