Certain folders are not visible in my external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boattalker, Nov 9, 2014.

1. boattalker macrumors newbie

My computer crashed while I was downloading some torrents just now and when I restarted my computer, my whole downloads folder appeared empty, even though the available storage amount hadn't changed, indicating that the data was still there. After running Disk Recovery, I was able to get most of the data back, but there are still at least 59 folders missing, totalling around 19 GBl; that isn't including converted and copied versions of the folders that are missing from other directories within the HD. Unfortunately I don't have money for an overpriced recovery tool. Disk recovery detects the missing files in the index but says that they have "incorrect harldinks count" [sic]. It says either "Should be 4294901761 instead of 0" or "Should be 0 instead of 1". It then completes the recovery and says "Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files." I need to figure out what is going on here.

2. boattalker thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

The hard drive just did the same thing with temporarily making my downloads unaccessible. What should I do? I would backup my files and restore the drive, but I have nowhere to back up my files, since this is my only hard drive.

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

One of the methods to back up your files would be - getting another drive.
    External drives (which you might like to have now) are not that expensive, and may prove to be quite valuable to you now, eh?
    I don't like to rub salt in the wound, but if you have files on an external drive, it needs to be storage that is reliable. A second external will help that situation a lot.