Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbdoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
One of my clients uses a Powerpoint template for all of their presentations which contains a company logo. The template and presentations work fine in terms of performance on Office for Windows, but whenever I open them on Office for Mac 2011 (latest patch), Powerpoint becomes extremely slow and essentially unusable. Opening the presentation, moving from slide to slide and modifying any slide takes 100% of my CPU (Intel Core i7, 4gb RAM) and each action can take anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds. If I delete the logo from the template, this behavior is fixed.

As this is a large corporation, I will not be able to convince them to change their template. Are there any solutions or fixes to this problem that someone can help me with?

Thanks for any help!

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
One of my clients uses a Powerpoint template for all of their presentations which contains a company logo. The template and presentations work fine in terms of performance on Office for Windows, but whenever I open them on Office for Mac 2011 (latest patch), Powerpoint becomes extremely slow and essentially unusable. Opening the presentation, moving from slide to slide and modifying any slide takes 100% of my CPU (Intel Core i7, 4gb RAM) and each action can take anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds. If I delete the logo from the template, this behavior is fixed.

As this is a large corporation, I will not be able to convince them to change their template. Are there any solutions or fixes to this problem that someone can help me with?

Thanks for any help!

I've not worked out a consistent fix for this behaviour with PP either. However, what happens in some instances is that the initial graphic is a very large file that the person who made the PP put into each individual slide (rather than duplicating the slide). I have basically had to go through and remake the PP so it is useable.

The other possibility is that there are some incompatible animations.

Oh and another possibility is that you are using a ppt, not a pptx. My PP 2011 does not handle ppt documents well at all!

HeadGear

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2012
I've had to duplicate the logo and change the format to .gif sometimes .png works but that did it for me.

I now only have issues with Excel opening a file larger than 1mb takes 15minutes and is slow as heck, beach ball every time i click on a new cell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.