Certain Websites (i.e. Facebook) Won't Load (as usual...)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ziggyonice, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

This is a fairly common troubleshooting issue on the web, but I have yet to find the actual answer anywhere.

Certain websites won't load, for whatever reason, in any browser. This time, the damage is limited to Facebook.

Facebook will not load in any browser.
    • It loads on any other computer except this one.
    • Tried moving the computer to a different wireless network
    • Tried moving the computer to a different wired network.
    • I created a new account, and the problem persisted on the new account.
    • I did an archive & install of Snow Leopard, and the problem persisted.
    • I deleted the Safari cache, cookies, etc.
    • I deleted the Cache at ~/Library/Cache
    • I deleted the Cache at Macintosh HD/Library/Cache
    • I tried changing the DNS settings to Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8)
    • Removed any Internet Plug-ins

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I really don't want to do an erase & install...

2. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

You are not alone

I am also a facebook user and have had a lot of problems laterly of being slow to load or not at all.

Be rest asured it is more than likely not your mac or web browsers as Facebook is under going a heck of a lot of updates at the present time and as such it is not always easy to get onto.

One thing to try which may or may not help is using OpenDNS servers these I have found work really well for all my web surfing.

Also try a repair permissions if you have updated flash player recently as it screws with quite a few things which can also cause issues with facebook and other sites. Facebook and most of the apps on there use flash player.

Also try flushing the dns cache from within the system by doing the following command in the terminal.

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

you may need your admin password for this to work

Lets know how you get on.

3. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I also had the same problems with Facebook with Safari and Firefox.

It will load up my CPU to 100% and it was so laggy. After Firefox's newest update it seems to be working fine for me.

4. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

But that’s the thing — this is not a Facebook problem. This is a problem with something being retained on my Mac. This happens with a lot of people, and it's not just with Facebook. The problem is that in the end everyone just gives up because no one knows the answer.

Does anyone know how to fix this common problem?

5. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Well the weird part I only have on and off issues with facebook only and most are either facebook updating or flash player based.

How do you connect to the net?

Do you use the combo updaters?

Do you repair the permissions after all updates?

Also be aware if using safari and trying out flash player 10.1Beta you need to run safari in 32 bit mode for everything to work correctly.

Do you see any flash crashes?

I will keep helping as I am a little more than just interested to find out what is causing your problems as it will help if any of the people I help here in Oz see this sort of problem.

I just don't give up till a fix is found no matter how long it takes and I have a second mac to try things on to see if I can get the same problems to come about.

If there is anything else happening with your mac with other apps that seems not right these if any could help lead back to a cause also.