Certain websites won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by afters, Apr 29, 2009.

1. afters macrumors member

I've recently been having some trouble accessing certain websites from my macbook.

What happens is that once I enter the address for the particular website in my address bar and press return/ enter, the browser attempts to load the website, but cannot seem to do so, as if it is being blocked in some way. After a minute or so of trying, I usually get the message 'Page Load Error' accompanied by 'Network Timeout' or 'Failed to open page' in Safari. Changing browser does not seem to work (same results with Camino, FF, Safari, and Opera), and using VMWare Fusion running XP, I get the same thing.

My setup is white C2D macbook, connecting wirelessly to an AEBS. I have another desktop, and 3 other laptops, as well as an iPod Touch and PS3 on the network and all of these can access the sites as normal. Just to let people know, I also changed to OpenDNS and flushed the DNS cache.

Could anyone shed some light on why this is happening? Alternatively anything else I should be looking to do (besides reinstall of OSX)?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've had similar problems before. I wouldn't be able to access some sites that I normally can. Resetting my router usually cleared up the issue. I'm not sure if it only effected my MacBook as I didn't try with my other machines. This only happens maybe twice a year though.

3. afters thread starter macrumors member

Were you also using an AEBS? If so, what sort of reset are you referring to? A normal restart or restore to factory settings?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm not sure what a AEBS is. My router is a Linksys and I did a reset by just unplugging it for about 15 seconds and replugging in.

5. afters thread starter macrumors member

Oh sorry. AEBS = Airport Extreme Base Station (Apple's router)

I've tried resetting the router a couple of times. I've even restored it to factory settings and then set it all up again but to no avail.

In further news, I also installed XP on a bootcamp partition, and same problem. Anyone have any further insight into this before I go hassle Apple about it.

6. dmbrown in pdx macrumors newbie

I've been having the same problem, but only in the XP VMware virtual machine; a URL that times out in XP opens nearly instantly on the Mac side.

This just started a couple of days ago, but it's driving me crazy.

7. dmbrown in pdx macrumors newbie

Surprise! Just a couple of days later, VMware automatically downloaded an update, and the problem has gone away.

:)