Certificate for OSX server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by aicul, Apr 25, 2014.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

My certificate for OSX server has expired.

This server is for family stuff so quite frankly I don't see the use for an expensive certificate.

I was wondering about the self-signed certificates and whether this was an acceptable option given the "family" orientation of the server.

Is there a impending "don't do this" reason I should be aware of ?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've run a home OSX server for over 4 years now with just a self-signed certificate and have had no issues. You just have to manually trust it whenever a dialog pops up. Yes it's a nuisance, but it's also free, and you only have to do it once a year.

3. jtara macrumors 65816

If you really want an NSA backdoor, and like spending money on things that have no intrinsic value, get a commercial certificate.

If you're OK without the NSA backdoor, and want to save some money, use a self-signed certificate.

A better way is to create a Certificate Authority, and then install a root certificate on the machines that will access it.

4. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks

sounds good, but maybe beyond my (brain) grasp. Do you have a good link for some reading ?