Certified Pre Owned iPhone 5s via Verizon for 49. dollars cents.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christopher11, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

I have an iphone 4 with my Verizon account and have been happy with it, about a year overdue for an upgrade though. I wouldn't mind upgrading, it's just the 150. or 200. dollar fee plus upgrade fee, new case etc has slowed me up a bit. I'm happy enough with this iphone 4, although it's only 8GB. I use this phone a lot for my work, creative ideas and communication with clients. I logged into Verizon today and found they have certified pre owned iPhone 5s for 49. dollars. Or a 32 GB one for 99. dollars.

I was hoping to get some thoughts from you helpful people on this. Would you shy away from a CPO phone? Or no worries? I could always reactivate my iPhone 4 i suppose, and send this back if it didn't work right. Thanks so much for any replies.

2. techishi macrumors member

Hi there!

Really there's nothing wrong with CPO/refurbished phones. But I'm assuming those prices you posted are for 2 year contracts, I guess just keep in mind that you'll be with the phone for 2 years ( the 5s is almost 2 years old as it is ). Granted, that shouldn't be a problem since you still have a iPhone 4 :p

You could spring for the 5s now, but honestly I would just hold out a few more months. The 6s will be out around September and well see a nice price drop for the 6 line, then you'll probably be able to pick one up ( CPO/refurbished ) for roughly the same price as you're currently suggesting.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I wouldn't get certified pre-owned. Battery life's already going bad on my iPhone 5s (mine was bought brand new on release) and you only get a 90-day warranty. You're already paying a $450 subsidy built-in to the plan costs every 2 years. Heck, going through the junk mail for the past month, I got a flyer from Verizon offering a $200 discount on the iPhone 6 with 2-year contract.

Also, the iPhone 5s 16GB is $99 brand new with 2-year contract. The $50 you save by buying pre-owned just isn't worth it.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

A couple weeks ago, Best Buy was offering the 16GB 5S new for 99¢ plus a $100 gift card. My sister-in-law took advantage of the deal. So, Verizon's deal isn't really that great.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If it was an Apple-certified refurb, then I'd consider it. But carrier or third-party certified iPhones I would stay away from. Carriers are generally not Apple Certified to repair or recondition phones, and so if you have an issue, you will have to deal with the carrier and whatever warranty they offer. Apple, if they determine that non-Apple parts were used to repair such a phone (and it happens often with third-party refurbs), will not help you if it develops a problem later.

6. jdag macrumors 6502a

I would strongly advise against Verizon CPO. I will make a very long story as short as possible. I purchased 5 iPhone 5 units last year. I had to ultimately get 10 to find 5 that were (marginally) acceptable. I was not being overly picky by any means:

a) 2 arrived with "stuck" home buttons. They would not depress at all. It was almost as if they were glued in place. They were unusable.

b) 1 had an obviously aftermarket screen and upon touching the screen you would see a major rainbow in about a 1" diameter around your finger (regardless of where you pressed on the screen).

c) 1 had a bad mic, and could not be used handsfree. If you used bluetooth or a headset it would work, but not the mic alone.

d) 1 had a "plugged up" lightning port which caused problems with charging.

e) 4 had well-used batteries. I used an application to check battery life and they were fairly low, I don't recall the percentages now.

f) 1 had a screen that was not seated properly (you could see a ridge on 1 end, the other end was flush).

As mentioned, I had to get 10 phones to keep 5. Ultimately I accepted those with the fewest problems (I kept those with weak batteries, and the one with the plugged lightning port that I was able to partially clean out). Anyhow, not a single unit was really to the level I would deem "certified".

To top it off, I took my nieces with 2 of those that I kept with poor batteries to the Apple Store about 3 weeks ago. They tested 1 of them, and found that it was covered under the battery replacement recall, even though I had entered that serial number on the Apple web site and it said it was not eligible. No complaint, they fixed it for free, and my 1 niece had a new battery, and uncle saved $80.

But my 2nd niece's phone was not eligible for the free replacement, so I said fine, I will pay the $80 fee for her phone (I had expected to spend $160 that night, so I wasn't upset). We were told both phones would be ready in an hour, so we went to get a bite to eat. Upon return to the store, we were told that the 2nd phone would not be repaired because it was obviously repaired in the past with non-Apple parts. They put the 2 phones side by side, and you could definitely see the differences. So I had to contact Verizon (wasted about an hour), but they then sent a replacement.

Verizon insisted on 2 occasions that there CPO phones come from Apple. I absolutely cannot believe that statement.

Told you this was a long story...and I just told the short version!

7. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Wow! Thank you. That definitely gives me pause... Yeah, as you guys suggested, I think I'll just go for a new one. ; Maybe the 5s 16GB for 99. dollars. Thanks again for this info. It really helps.

8. jdag macrumors 6502a

If you really want to save serious money over time, check with Verizon about bringing your own phone instead. I am not sure if they are still doing this, but when I bought those 5 phones for my family members, I bought them outright at ~$275/ea. The discounts were as follows at the time for those on a family share plan:

1) Under 10gb of shared data = $15/line/mo discount

2) 10gb+ of shared data = $25/line/mo discount

We are above 10gb, so for those 5 lines we pay a net of $15/line/mo + taxes. The regular cost is $40/line/mo, but we get the $25 discount. Basically, the owned phones become paid for in 10-11 months this way.

Again, not sure if they are still offering that option, but worth a call. You really might be better off looking for a more modern phone (even if you can wait a few months for the new iPhones to come out and the market to get flooded with 1 year old or younger iPhone 6/6+ models).

9. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

That's a great idea. Thank you. It sounds like you have a happy family. ; )

10. jdag macrumors 6502a

11. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Thank you. I will. I'm sort of leaning towards waiting until the 6s comes out, if it causes a price drop, as a commenter above suggested. Then maybe get the iPhone 6 for 99. if available. To be honest I liked the looks of the iPhone 5. I wonder if the 6 is that much better? Worth going for? Like, is it faster, longer battery life, etc? I guess I had assumed I would get an iPhone 5... but it might not necessarily be my best bet I guess.

12. rui no onna, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Faster CPU+GPU, longer battery life, yes. Of course, it's also bigger at 4.7" so that may be a pro or con depending on your preferences. Again, you can find deals on even the iPhone 6. Last junk mail I received from Verizon, the 16GB model was basically $0 with 2-year contract (you get a $200 discount with both 2-year and EDGE). You might want to wait for a similar deal.

13. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Really, in your email you got that!? That's a great deal. I would certainly go for that.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not email (I opt out of junk email). I got it via junk snail mail.

15. jdag macrumors 6502a

I believe that was a BB promo for Father's Day...may still be active.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nah, mine wasn't from Best Buy. It was directly from Verizon and I received it before Father's day, around May I think.

17. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

My wife's birthday is next week and she was eligible for a phone upgrade earlier this month. She was looking at the iPhone 5 for $99. I talked her out of it because I said the 5 was already dated and to remember that she was going to have this phone for two years. I agreed to buy her the 6 and now she's glad I did. She previously had the 4S and after an IOS upgrade last year the battery life subsequently diminished significantly. I just think it's worth it to spend the extra money and get the newer technology.

18. techspin macrumors 6502a

You're four years overdue for an upgrade! Wait for the next release and buy that one on contract. The price difference will be negligible in the long run.