Certified Refurb Temp Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chaoticfury09, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Chaoticfury09 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Just bought a certified refurb from Apple, 13" RMBP Mid 2014 and I am curious about the current temperatures it is displaying. My room is sitting at 22C and my computer is showing between 59-61c with one safari tab, utorrent with one file downloading and iTunes playing some music. Is this normal? Seems awfully high for not that much stuff going on. Just wanted to know if you guys would return it and ask for another.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's quite normal. I encourage you to relax and enjoy your Mac, and not worry about temps. Your Mac will take care of itself, keeping temps within a safe operating range, without needing any assistance from the user or 3rd party apps.

3. Chaoticfury09 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will definitely do that, but doesn't it seem high to you? I closed it and re-opened it and upon opening mail it went from 35-60. Seems odd doesn't it?
    I just want to make sure it's gone through good quality control and refurbishment and won't be causing me problems down the line.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurbs are subjected to strict testing before being offered. It's more likely to get a defective new unit than a defective refurb, since most new units are not individually tested and inspected, as are refurbs.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (GPU Tjmax may vary with specific models.)(Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    The fans in Macs are always on when the Mac is on, spinning at a minimum speed which varies by Mac model. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is on the back of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Those are perfectly normal operating temps for that computer.

You could search the forums next time, there are literally (and I truly mean literally) thousands of threads on this very subforum with the same question as you or a slight variation of it. All of them contain the same info: your temps are normal and nothing to worry about.

Macbook Pros run warm, they always have, they probably always will. Cramming that much power in that thin a chassis tends to do that.

6. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Eh...seems fairly normal. My guess is that itʻs your utorrent app kicking up your temps. Iʻm sitting here in about 22C with iTunes and 10 tabs in Firefox open and Iʻm at 41C. If you want to know whatʻs kicking up your temps run Activity Monitor to see how an app is impacting your computerʻs resources. Then try closing the suspect app to see if it makes a difference.

Donʻt think you need to return your computer just yet. Remember, depending on the apps running and work youʻre doing, your temps could be anywhere. It all depends...

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k