CES 2012: BulletTrain eXpress Enclosure for Magic Trackpad and Apple Keyboard

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At CES, Bullettrain announced their new eXpress keyboard platform that offers a single enclosure for the Magic Trackpad and Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard.

The enclosure mimics the layout of an Apple laptop, placing the trackpad below the keyboard. This gives it a bit more of a familiar feel for those transitioning between a notebook and a desktop setup. Both the keyboard and Magic Trackpad snap into place, and can be easily removed from the eXpress.

The enclosure will be shipping in March and will cost $79 for silver version and $99 for colored versions, a couple of which are shown above.

Update: This post originally described the enclosure as aluminum per a description on BulletTrain's website. BulletTrain has informed us that yesterday's announcement actually concerned a new lower-cost line constructed of glass-reinforced polycarbonate and available in ten colors. The new product is an alternative to the company's existing aluminum enclosure priced at $139.

Article Link: CES 2012: BulletTrain eXpress Enclosure for Magic Trackpad and Apple Keyboard

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I had this idea at least five years ago. Man, I could have been making bank!

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, this thing really looks like it sucks! The whole point of the magic trackpad is so you can put it next to the keyboard, where you're used to the mouse being! I love that setup. For $50 less I would MUCH prefer to have the Twelve South MagicWand.

TheMadCow

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Actually...

I've had one of these on my Mac media center (Mac Mini) for over a year and they work like a charm. A similar system is used by many of my clients in the conference rooms, again, works like a charm. I don't think that it's original intent is for desktop use, so all the ergonomic flack is meaningless.

My only beef with the announcement is, seriously, $20 more for color? A can of all weather Krylon would be cheaper and bond just fine to the metal surface.

----------

Just plain bad ergonomics. Nice concept, but not practical.
The funny part would be seeing someone, mistakenly purchasing this and trying to use it on a desk. *facepalm*.

And then complaining about it.

BulletTrainSF

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Incorrect Info

Hey guys, James from BulletTrain here. First and foremost, we want to thank MacRumors SO much for the coverage.

Unfortunately, the info published in the post is INCORRECT.

The product we launched today at CES, is NOT aluminum. What we launched today is our All New eXpress Keyboard Platform which is made of durable glass-reinforced polycarbonate. it is available in 10 exciting colors.

We will begin shipping this new Polycarbonate eXpress in March. The Silver Polycarb eXpress will retail for $79 and the colors will sell for $99.

The homepage of our website is being updated as I type this. I would personally like to apologize for any confusion caused by our site not being up to date prior to launch.

Again, we wholeheartedly thank MacRumors for the coverage. The product has been received quite well so far and we're excited for more folks to see it and use it.

In the spirit of the forums, we welcome the open dialogue. As with anything, some will love it and some won't. That's what makes anything worth doing.

----------

BulletTrain Launches All-New, Stylish, Innovative eXpress Keyboard Platform In 10 Fun Colors!

CES: Las Vegas, NV —January 2012 -—BulletTrain launches their all-new, more affordable BulletTrain eXpress Keyboard Platform.

As with BulletTrain’s widely acclaimed aluminum model, the all-new eXpress combines the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic TrackPad into an ergonomic and truly portable laptop style configuration for your desk, lap or Media Center. That is where the similarities end and the fun begins.

“Since day one, we’ve never stopped improving the eXpress” said Jake Ehrlich-CEO & Designer at BulletTrain. “We created the all- new eXpress with our customers in mind. We’ve worked hard to perfect everything, the shape, the method of attachment, the angle, the materials, the price–everything!!!”

The all-new eXpress is constructed of high-quality, high-strength, glass-reinforced polycarbonate which provides a much lighter product, while offering the durability and style BulletTrain customers have come to expect.

Subtle changes to the shape of the new eXpress improve usability while increasing performance and tactile feedback. The Magic TrackPad sits lower in the platform and is no longer flush with the platform, reducing erroneous taps and clicks while providing a non-visual way to find the TrackPad.

A flat bottom with super low-profile feet makes the new eXpress even more lap friendly. The new flat bottom, coupled with a new wall-hanging design significantly improve wall-hanging ability by allowing the eXpress to hang on shorter fat or flat-head screws or nails.

The new eXpress features an innovative method of attaching the keyboard and TrackPad into place by gripping their battery compartments. BulletTrain designed a clip-in, “C-channel“ system which holds snug, yet allows the Apple Magic TrackPad and Keyboard to be easily removed for changing batteries. This new system completely eliminates the need to attach anything to your devices.

In response to customer feedback, the power buttons of both the TrackPad and Keyboard have been made easily accessible without having to remove them from the eXpress.

Jake Ehrlich speaks of designing BulletTrain’s new creation with an almost intoxicating passion:

“All the changes and improvements we made on the all-new eXpress exemplify our absolute commitment to excellence as well as clearly showcasing our desire to completely reinvent the keyboard for the 21st Century.

We’ve taken the all-new BulletTrain eXpress to a new level, while significantly lowering the price to make it way more affordable than our previuos generation Aluminum eXpress. I wanted to take my time to make certain we left no stone unturned. Over the past year, I’ve gotten to know many of our customers on a personal level. I listened very carefully to what features they enjoyed, and more importantly to what they wanted.”

As a result, BulletTrain is launching the new eXpress in 10 fashion colors, one of which is a metallic silver that closely matches the aluminum finish BulletTrain customers are used to. All of the colors offered are an ultra durable three stage process designed to mimic the metallic sheen and texture of anodized aluminum. The colors are truly gorgeous and are as follows: Piano Black, Arctic White, Ruby Red, Pacific Blue, Passion Pink, Rainforest Green, Royal Purple, BulletTrain Blue, and Sunset Orange. These colors will allow customers to truly eXpress themselves making their desktop space more personal, fashionable and fun.

If customers wish to customize their all-new eXpress even further, BulletTrain has developed partnerships to bring you the BuletTrain Custom Shop which offers an enormous selection of skins for the eXpress and Magic TrackPad. From The Beatles to Sponge Bob there’s sure to be something for everyone. With 10 colors and a huge selection of custom skins, BulletTrain has given “Freedom of eXpression” a whole new meaning.

While revisions to the shape, materials, and attachment method as well as the addition of exclusive skins and an exciting color palette might have been enough, BulletTrain didn’t stop there.

Without question, the most exciting feature of this new eXpress is the price. BulletTrain is offering the all-new eXpress for only $79!

When BulletTrain first launched the eXpress, they set out to reinvent the desktop keyboard and create an everything-top keyboard, giving you the most comfortable, friction free experience with your computer, Mac Media Center, or HTPC. It has now been refined even further to deliver you that same experience in a lighter, sleeker, more stylish, and more affordable package.

Pricing and Availability

The BulletTrain eXpress will be available in March at the BulletTrain website (www.bullettrain.com) from $79. (US)

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you think its so great and we're all so "stupid" then maybe you should just go out and buy one rather than telling 4 separate people with the same opinion that you disagree with them. What exactly do you think about it? From what I can tell all I know is that you think that I and 3 other people are stupid. So what's your opinion Dr. Smart?

Last edited by a moderator:

msonic77

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thks .Looks Good and Laconic. Bet it's not as expensive thing eather.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
It's not something that I personally have a use for since I only use a MacBook anyway/already, but the color ones as seen on the website certainly do look pretty. Almost like what a cross between aluminum MacBooks and the older color iBooks would look like.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Looks kind of bulky and like it's from the stone age.
This is just lame.

If you want to carry your keyboard-trackpad bundle around in a compact way and with real Apple-like style, look at this thing.
http://twelvesouth.com/products/magicwand/
+1

I have one of these and it's very good. The trackpad falls just right for your hand. Having the trackpad central on a laptop has always been awkward for me to use so I would not want to replicate that for my desktop machine.

handyisland

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Silicon Valley
You'll need levitating wrists

Ignore Accidental Trackpad Input is not an option on an iMac. Maybe there is a hack, but this layout does not work unless you can fool your machine into thinking the magic trackpad is a built-in trackpad.

drsox

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Why so many poor ergonomics comments ? Surely this is trying to solve a real problem ?

Here's my experience of this.
I bought a Magic Trackpad and a wireless keyboard. No problems with the keyboard - big problems with the trackpad. Why ?
The angle of the trackpad requires the fingers not in current use to be lifted up and bent backwards otherwise the trackpad misinterprets the gesture. This is not an issue with the keyboard as there is somewhere to rest the unused fingers and it's not gesture based.

Then I bought a MacBook Air. No problems with the trackpad because it is flat - so much less strain on the fingers and there is somewhere to rest the unused ones.

This product is trying to do the same. Worth it or not ? We'll see.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why not just position the trackpad below the keyboard like that yourself? No need to spend 75 bucks to do that...

chrball

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This just seems like total waste and a horrible concept.

Who wants the extra bulk? And it's not like laptops are comfortable or ergonomic.

flottenheimer

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
I actually like the freedom of being able to place the trackpad and the keyboard at varying individual angles and positions.

Guess this product is not for me.

If I had to wish for anything it would be that the angle (sloping?) of the trackpad was about half of what it is today (hard redesign though, considering that the angle is dependent on the size of the battey-"barrel" on the back).

Last edited:

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
That looks cool, I'm currently using a Twelve South MagicWand with my HTPC.

Ignoring the fact that it's a completely different shape to the BulletTrain eXpress Enclosure, the main problem with my MagicWand is that the Mobee Magic Bar cannot fit in the Keyboard/Trackpad whilst they're in the Magic Wand, so I'm stuck using AA batteries.

If the BulletTrain eXpress Enclosure had enough space to allow the Mobee Magic Bar's cylindrical battery pack to be fitted to the Keyboard/Trackpad (if you look at the pictures they stick out a bit further than the normal coin-screw battery cover) that'd be really good. Yes you'd obviously have to take the keyboard/trackpad out of the Enclosure to charge them in the inductive charging station, but whilst in the enclosure they could be using the rechargeable battery pack that won't fit in the Twelve South MagicWand.

@James from BulletTrain: Is there enough space inside the polycarbonate eXpress to allow the Mobee Magic Bar's cylindrical battery pack to be fitted to the Keyboard/Trackpad?

robertosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
France
macrumorsuser10 said:
You sure are stupid? It's exactly the same as a laptop, so how is that bad ergonomics?
The layout of a laptop is because if you place the trackpad on right or left from the keyboard would cause the laptop to be very wide. The more comfortable layout is of course placing the trackpad on the right of the keyboard (or left if you are left-handed).

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think this is great if u wanted something to use while sitting on a couch say and ur laptop/mac mini was connected to ur tv and u didnt have a table in front. So why all the hate? It does have its uses

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
When BulletTrain first launched the eXpress, they set out to reinvent the desktop keyboard and create an everything-top keyboard, giving you the most comfortable, friction free experience with your computer, Mac Media Center, or HTPC. It has now been refined even further to deliver you that same experience in a lighter, sleeker, more stylish, and more affordable package.
Thanks guys but Ill not bite on a "re-invented" 2010 keyboard that looks like a laptop. I probably have different perception concerning the words "light, sleek and stylish"..

By the way one of the most aesthetic less friendly features of this keyboard cover is the fact that the keyboard "sits" on top of the cover… If you managed to completely cover the keyboard just leaving it's buttons exposed keeping the product size unaffected, I could change my mind.. if furthermore you offered an iMac screen cover on the same colour for the aluminium part of it, I could probably buy the set… But as a product designer, I understand that something like this is nearly impossible considering the required thinness of the material..

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think this is great if u wanted something to use while sitting on a couch say and ur laptop/mac mini was connected to ur tv and u didnt have a table in front. So why all the hate? It does have its uses

You can always use your iPad as trackpad and keyboard if you want to access your computer from your sofa…

Last edited: