CES 2012: Gorilla Glass 2 to Allow for Thinner Stronger Phones

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
So some guy makes a random post claiming that the iPhone doesn't use gorilla glass, and this constitutes a "debate?"
Actually, putting my iPhone 2G side by side with my iPhone 4, i can feel a difference..i see sort of a deeper glass in the 2G, almost feels stronger than the iPhone 4.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Its not just one guy. Everyone who uses gorilla glass in their handsets (like Samsung) makes a point of saying so.

Apple has never claimed to use gorilla glass in the iphone line. Most people have come to the conclusion that apple is not using gorilla glass for iphones because of widespread problems with shattering/cracks/etc with iphones.

People who insist that the iphone does use gorilla glass (such as yourself?) are doing so on supposition.

For all any of us know, Apple is using the gorilla glass in their Macbook Airs or iPads or something.

Only a few people know for sure...and they ain't talking.
I believe that they likely are using Gorilla Glass as the reason mobile devices are even using it is because of Apple. I also recall someone on this forum emailing Steve Jobs and asking why they didn't use Gorilla Glass and the reply said that they were and have been from the beginning as they worked with Corning to "develop it" (I believe those were the words used in the email). However, we can't know for sure but I'd imagine it's fairly likely, especially the way Corning says that they can't reveal some customers when asked about Apple.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I believe that they likely are using Gorilla Glass as the reason mobile devices are even using it is because of Apple. I also recall someone on this forum emailing Steve Jobs and asking why they didn't use Gorilla Glass and the reply said that they were and have been from the beginning as they worked with Corning to "develop it" (I believe those were the words used in the email). However, we can't know for sure but I'd imagine it's fairly likely, especially the way Corning says that they can't reveal some customers when asked about Apple.
It was in the biography.

Anyway, it's displayed as a feature, though not indicating which technology/vendor they are using for their "enhanced" glass :

http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/features/retina-display.html

Advancements in the glass. And under it.

Made from the same materials used in helicopters and high-speed trains, the Retina display glass is chemically strengthened to be harder, more scratch resistant and more durable than ever. The glass also features an oil-resistant coating that helps keep the screen clean.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Actually, putting my iPhone 2G side by side with my iPhone 4, i can feel a difference..i see sort of a deeper glass in the 2G, almost feels stronger than the iPhone 4.
Agreed, the front of my 2G (glass touchscreen) has remained flawless despite numerous nasty falls onto pavement. The back is scratched and pocketed with dents, but the front remains pristine. I think, in order for a clearer, more accurate display - with greater viewing angles and color reproduction - Apple opted for a thinner, and considerably weaker iteration of Gorilla Glass, that is, if reports of Apple employing Gorrilla Glass in all their iDevices is true.
Yes, there is definitely a marked difference between the original iPhone's glass and the ones found in laters devices, especially the more recent 4 & 4s.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
As much as I love a thin and sleek device like the next guy, I'm going to say that I'd rather apple stick with the same thickness and get stronger glass. Too many shattered screens :-(

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yeah yeah. This is all very nice.

But glass is most vulnerable on pressure upright on the edges of the glass not on the flat surface.

So you can do as much promo glass vids as you want. Try to put the glass upright in to your pressure machine mister Marketing man. And we talk again.

Agreed, I am very careful, but managed to drop my 4S this morning....It landed flat, and no damage at all was incurred..Totally different story if it had landed on its edge, even on carpet.

The glass is tough, but hey, it IS glass

DanHolderman

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
Maybe its because its the cold and flu season but what I noticed most from that video was the salesman kept coughing into his hand, then handling the glass demos.

That guy was sick, just think about all of the people he infected at CES 2012...

Oh yeah, I like the improvement on the Gorilla Glass, I just would have been more impressed if he would have shown the breaking points on the Gorilla Glass like he did on the first two samples.

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Gorilla Glass has always been in various generations of iPhones!

Just as couple posts indicated. The Gorilla glass is in iPhone starting from the original iPhone.

Indeed, it was Steve Jobs helped to revive the Gorilla glass from Corning. He pushed them to re-introduce and mass produce the gorilla glass in a very short amount of time.

here is a paragraph from the book:

"Jobs described the type of glass Apple wanted for the iPhone, and Weeks told him that Corning had developed a chemical exchange process in the 1960s that led to what they dubbed “gorilla glass.” It was incredibly strong, but it had never found a market, so Corning quit making it."

Isaacson, Walter (2011-10-24 00:00:00+08:00). Steve Jobs (Kindle Locations 8129-8131). Simon & Schuster, Inc.. Kindle Edition. :apple:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Maybe its because its the cold and flu season but what I noticed most from that video was the salesman kept coughing into his hand, then handling the glass demos.

That guy was sick, just think about all of the people he infected at CES 2012...

Oh yeah, I like the improvement on the Gorilla Glass, I just would have been more impressed if he would have shown the breaking points on the Gorilla Glass like he did on the first two samples.
I bet people will look back and remember this as the beginning of the zombie apocalypse

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Its not just one guy. Everyone who uses gorilla glass in their handsets (like Samsung) makes a point of saying so.

Apple has never claimed to use gorilla glass in the iphone line. Most people have come to the conclusion that apple is not using gorilla glass for iphones because of widespread problems with shattering/cracks/etc with iphones.

People who insist that the iphone does use gorilla glass (such as yourself?) are doing so on supposition.

For all any of us know, Apple is using the gorilla glass in their Macbook Airs or iPads or something.

Only a few people know for sure...and they ain't talking.
Well you're also ignoring all the evidence from David Pogue's source(s), not to mention it was explicitly stated in Steve Jobs's bio by the man himself.

Apple doesn't mention it because it's Apple we're talking about. Since when have they been one to start bragging about components in the iPhone made by other companies? The Gorilla Glass isn't any different. Let the other phone manufacturers brag about chips made by Samsung and LG and Sony etc

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Well you're also ignoring all the evidence from David Pogue's source(s), not to mention it was explicitly stated in Steve Jobs's bio by the man himself.

Apple doesn't mention it because it's Apple we're talking about. Since when have they been one to start bragging about components in the iPhone made by other companies? The Gorilla Glass isn't any different. Let the other phone manufacturers brag about chips made by Samsung and LG and Sony etc
It was used in previous iPhones-can't argue that. I don't beleive it is used on the 4 or 4S. Comparing the glass to other known Gorilla Glassed phones, the glass on the 4 and 4S feels and looks different. Look at the glass with screen off at different angles in different lighting. It's clear that two GGed phones look the same, the 4 and 4S do not look similar to known GGed screens.

terrymr

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2006
It was used in previous iPhones-can't argue that. I don't beleive it is used on the 4 or 4S. Comparing the glass to other known Gorilla Glassed phones, the glass on the 4 and 4S feels and looks different. Look at the glass with screen off at different angles in different lighting. It's clear that two GGed phones look the same, the 4 and 4S do not look similar to known GGed screens.
Apple spells it out pretty plainly in the description of the glass on the 4/4S. Just doesn't say Gorilla Glass™

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I left my new naked iPhone on the roof of my car (of all places), drove off, and about two hundred yards down the road it fell off and hit the pavement. Upon retrieval - the screen never shattered, chipped or scratched. :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I agree, an edge test would be good. But face pressure is relevant as well, when your phone is in your pocket, left on a chair, or in a bag with other stuff.

Marketing aside, I hope the stuff has some edge strength too—even if it might be less than the advantage the face has. Maybe a blender would be a good test...

(Luckily, I dropped my iPhone 4 on a metal floor so hard it bounced a yard away, landed on tiles covered in loose dirt, and skidded on its face... and got not even a micro-scratch anywhere! That was over a year ago, and it’s been fine ever since. Tip: DO NOT PUT YOUR PHONE IN AN UNSEALED JACKET POCKET... The jacket becomes your very own Angry Birds slingshot when you take it off too fast :eek: )

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
It's 2012. Why are videos like this still shot at the video quality of the iPhone 3G?!?
Because bandwidth isn't free maybe, or it's good enough, or the lower the quality, the quicker the processing time so as to get the video onto the internet as soon as possible for free so commentators can criticise aspects of the product presentation?

Pick one or all of those reasons.

Anyway that aside.

Which material is in the best running to take the ultimate stress test of 80 tons of humpback whale with 18000 cubic feet of water; Gorilla Glass or transparent aluminium?

I think glass is in the lead at the moment now.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

i have a 4S and the glass is a lot better than my old 3GS. same on my ipad 2. a lot more resistant to scratches

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Do those other phones you looked at have an airspace under the glass, as most touch devices do? One of the technical achievements with the iPhone 4 and 4S was having the gapless glass layer. That’s why the retina display seems more like you’re touching the image, and not touching somewhere vaguely “above” the image like most touchscreens. A nice subtle improvement.

If the other phone models you've look at are not gapless, then the iPhone 4/4S's Gorilla Glass is bound to look different. (Plus the layer right under the glass—the retina display itself—is bound to have a different surface look even when turned off.) Not to mention, surface coatings are not the same on all phones.

What other Gorilla Glass phone models are you referring to, that look different?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Do those other phones you looked at have an airspace under the glass, as most touch devices do? One of the technical achievements with the iPhone 4 and 4S was having the gapless glass layer. That’s why the retina display seems more like you’re touching the image, and not touching somewhere vaguely “above” the image like most touchscreens. A nice subtle improvement.

If the other phone models you've look at are not gapless, then the iPhone 4/4S's Gorilla Glass is bound to look different. (Plus the layer right under the glass—the retina display itself—is bound to have a different surface look even when turned off.) Not to mention, surface coatings are not the same on all phones.

What other Gorilla Glass phone models are you referring to, that look different?
Not sure about whether the Droid X and Droid 2 Global had the gapless layer, but what I am looking at at a steep angle appears to be the outermost glass. It appears different. Hard to describe. There is almost a slightly wavy effect on the X and Droid 2.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Okay, so this glass doesn't break under direct pressure. But what if it is dropped and hits the ground on a corner? Does it shatter? Because if it does, it is still useless to mobile phones. Apple claimed the glass in the iPhone 4 was strengthened, yet it's the first thing to shatter when you drop the device.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I have dropped my 3GS on a few occasions and (touch wood) it survived. The white case has a few very tiny cracks by the connector port on the bottom. My glass has one small scratch from leaving it it my pocket once with my keys. Since then I keep it in a belt case. GO :apple: !