CES 2012: Panasonic's 20-Inch Display at 216 PPI Arrives Amid Rumors of 'Retina' MacBook Pro

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Apple was rumored to be preparing to launch a 'Retina'-resolution 15-inch MacBook Pro early this year carrying a resolution of 2880x1800 pixels. The rumors are also being fueled in part by OS X 10.7.3 beta versions showing evidence of continued work on a HiDPI mode to display existing content at the correct sizes for these ultra-high pixel densities.

Supporting the idea that displays offering the necessary pixel density are approaching market readiness, Panasonic yesterday showed off (via Engadget) its new 20.4-inch IPS Alpha LCD panel registering at 3840x2160, a density of 216 pixels per inch.
Panasonic Corporation, a leader in high-definition display technology, has developed a 20-inch 4K2K (3,840 x 2,160 resolution, approx. 8.29 million pixels) IPS Alpha LCD panel, the smallest as a 4K2K-resolution display. The new panel has the world's highest pixel density of 216 pixels per inch (ppi) and the thickness of only 3.5 mm, the thinnest in the world. A prototype panel will be unveiled at the 2012 International CES to be held in Las Vegas, United States from January 10 to 13.

IPS Alpha panels are suitable for making ultra-high definition displays because of their simple pixel structure - one of the characteristics of the IPS panels - as well as their high contrast ratio, excellent color reproducibility with rich gradation and the industry's highest-level light transmission rate that were implemented by Panasonic's unique IPS-Pro technology.
Apple's rumored Retina-resolution MacBook Pro would come in at roughly the same pixel density as Panasonic's display, suggesting that the display manufacturers are indeed working on products within the realm of Apple's goals.

Apple's Retina display introduced on the iPhone 4 marked a significant step forward for the smartphone industry, offering the crispest image quality seen on a mobile display. Apple's interest in HiDPI display modes on the Mac and rumors of ultra high-resolution displays for its notebooks suggest that the company is attempting to bring that same leap to larger screens, making for easier reading and sharper images using pixels that are individually indistinguishable at typical viewing distances.

Article Link: CES 2012: Panasonic's 20-Inch Display at 216 PPI Arrives Amid Rumors of 'Retina' MacBook Pro

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple's rumored Retina-resolution MacBook Pro would come in at roughly the same pixel density as Panasonic's display, suggesting that the display manufacturers are indeed working on products within the realm of Apple's goals.

Apple's Retina display introduced on the iPhone 4 marked a significant step forward for the smartphone industry, offering the crispest image quality seen on a mobile display. Apple's interest in HiDPI display modes on the Mac and rumors of ultra high-resolution displays for its notebooks suggest that the company is attempting to bring that same leap to larger screens, making for easier reading and sharper images using pixels that are individually indistinguishable at typical viewing distances.
That says it all.

Another Apple-led initiative.

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
This is the revolution from Apples laptop devision i've been waiting for, for the past few years since the introduction of the unibody.

Can't wait for ultra high resolution display, new processors, and most importantly a new design! So glad I skipped out on the unibodys.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
"Prototype"

"20 inch"

Not a single word said about power consumption.

Yep, sounds just like what people look for in a MacBook Pro. :rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That says it all.

Explain. Do you mean to say Panasonic is making these for Apple. Or that Apple is leading the way for higher res screens.

If the latter - your assertion is ridiculous. Companies have always increased resolution (among other things) with each new class of monitor. That roadmap has NOTHING to do with Apple.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Apple's Retina display introduced on the iPhone 4 marked a significant step forward for the smartphone industry, offering the crispest image quality seen on a mobile display.
If you forget the Toshiba G900 from 2.007 and its 313 ppi or the LG KM900 from 2009 and its 311 ppi or the Samsung Jet from 2.009 and its 301 ppi

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68020
Jan 17, 2008
Big D
If you forget the Toshiba G900 from 2.007 and its 313 ppi or the LG KM900 from 2009 and its 311 ppi or the Samsung Jet from 2.009 and its 301 ppi
The claim is "crispest". There are other factors than PPI. Like IPS, LED, brightness, contrast, text rendering.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Explain. Do you mean to say Panasonic is making these for Apple. Or that Apple is leading the way for higher res screens.

If the latter - your assertion is ridiculous. Companies have always increased resolution (among other things) with each new class of monitor. That roadmap has NOTHING to do with Apple.
It's like saying Apple's copying Google/Android by making dual-core/quad-core iDevices.

Silly.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
That says it all.

Truly amazing. Never in my life (which started in the first half of the last century!) have I encountered such absolute, unquestioning, unconditional, blind devotion to anything or anyone.

It's astounding!!

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Hopefully they can also make a 3360x2100 15" screen (i.e. 1680x1050 doubled). I am not really interested in a 2880x1800 15" which has the same real estate as the existing MBP.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
completely agree...

Hopefully they can also make a 3360x2100 15" screen (i.e. 1680x1050 doubled). I am not really interested in a 2880x1800 15" which has the same real estate as the existing MBP.
I don't understand why people are neg-ing you, because that is a good point of consideration. As awesome as a retina display on any MacBook Pro would be in of itself, who really wants to use an effectively 1440x900 screen workspace on a 15" or 17" MBP?

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'd say this is bound to happen eventually, but knowing Apple it will probably be a lot longer than we might think to see it actually implemented in a product. Can't wait for this! My hi-res display on my MBP is great but sometimes I wish I had a few more pixels to play with.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is the revolution from Apples laptop devision i've been waiting for, for the past few years since the introduction of the unibody.

Can't wait for ultra high resolution display, new processors, and most importantly a new design! So glad I skipped out on the unibodys.
Don't be hatin' on my unibody!! :D I think its the slickest looking computer I've ever seen. But hey, I said that about the previous generation too. Can't wait for the next re-design! I hope it comes soon!