CES 2015: Netatmo Debuts 'Welcome' Smart Home Camera with Family Face Recognition Technology

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Connected products manufacturer Netatmo showed off its new Welcome HD smart home camera at CES 2015, which features the ability to recognize individual members of a family and inform other users as to who is home. The camera, which features a 130 degree field of view, also offers a live video feed with audio that is accessible through an iOS app to monitor a current home situation without the need for cloud storage or subscription fees.

[​IMG]
    Netatmo's Welcome smart home camera ​
    Netatmo has also included a number of privacy settings with its Welcome camera including the ability to not receive notifications or store footage when specific people are recognized. Recorded videos and identification data are also kept entirely on the camera's included SD card, as the camera itself cannot access any data of its own. The Welcome app for the iPhone contains other options for privacy and displays every person recognized as being home, and lists past events and people on the timeline screen.

[​IMG]
    The Welcome (left) and a Welcome Tag (right) which extends range ​
    Aside from facial recognition and privacy features, the camera offers night vision thanks to a powerful infrared LED and features an exterior comprised of anodized aluminum. Netatmo's Welcome camera will be available in the second quarter of 2015, and the company also says it will be releasing an accessory known as Welcome Tags that extend that camera's reach.

Article Link: CES 2015: Netatmo Debuts 'Welcome' Smart Home Camera with Family Face Recognition Technology

2. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

This can't be marketed for those that require a true, secure home security system. Plus, I remember a similar device marketed a year ago that included a carbon monoxide detector within.

These expo offerings are all gimmicky, not worthwhile and half baked ideas. True the technology and face recognition is great and truly incredible but I just don't see the masses caring or taking this seriously.

Again, who is this marketed towards? Teenagers so they can film their room in case their folks sneak in?

3. Seven3Five macrumors newbie

An easily portable security camera that stores all its info locally. Smart! :rolleyes: This offers absolutely no protection and is more likely to be stolen out of spite then protect anyone or anything.

-JAE

4. BornAgainApple macrumors 6502a

BornAgainApple

5. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

A glorified baby monitor at best. With facial recognition.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

If recognition fades like my Iphone 5S fingerprint scanning does, there'll be a lot of disgruntled homeowners impatiently waiting outside their own homes.

7. Stephroll macrumors member

Guess can be good for people needing to monitor elderly parents and such , giving them a sense of security .

8. aricG macrumors newbie

aricG

I for one am pretty intrigued by this just cause I am tinkerer and would like to play with this to configure a kind of this-or-that setup to recognize individuals and have certain things start-up automatically; like if I walk in make sure the room temp is at my comfort level and turn on the TV to my channel of choice. If I could get this to do what I am dreaming I would buy one for different rooms in the house.

9. heimo macrumors 6502

Finally an affordable security solution for my company head quarters.

10. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Be useful for home automation if it supported Z Wave

Otherwise it's just a Dropcam with facial recognition but without the flexibility offered by the cloud

11. WBRacing macrumors 65816

I love how narrow-minded people can be about such devices.
    "It's of no use to me, therefore is a useless product" :rolleyes:

We don't have a dedicated receptionist here in our lobby, so in theory it would enable a delegated person upstairs to be notified when an unknown visitor has entered the building, meaning that that person can head on down to greet the visitor without them having to work out which number to dial on the internal phone to let them know they are here.

Not the best example I am sure, but a real one and shows that the product can have it's use.

If it's not a device for you then fair enough, but to keep coming back to this thread simply to berate it seems like a very poor use of time.

12. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

After looking at their product page. The information it stores locally would be the faces it is set up to recognize as well as any videos that it records for you. This product doesn't seem to be made with the intention of replacing whatever security system you have in place, but to notify you of who is in your house. That the kids made it home from school safely, or your brother stopped by, etc.

I think to make this product a little bit better, it should include an option where you can backup the information to some sort of external storage, whether it be a local drive in your house, or a 3rd party cloud. That way if it does get stolen in a break-in, you have some sort of video or photos to give to the police.