Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Drone and headphone manufacturer Parrot has unveiled its new RNB6 in-dash car entertainment system at CES 2015, which features a 7-inch, 720p touchscreen with built-in support for Apple CarPlay and Siri Eyes Free as well as Android Auto and Android Auto Voice.

Parrot's RNB6 system also boasts a number of internal specs and features including Bluetooth 4.0 and configurable 5GHz Wi-Fi, as well as rear ports for GPS, HDMI, microphone input, ethernet, onboard diagnostics and USB devices. The in-dash system features a built-in dash camera with a wide-angle lens and full HD support, and also supports steering wheel control for UI navigation.

Parrot did not give a suggested price for the RNB6, but noted that it would be shipping during the latter half of 2015.

Article Link: CES 2015: Parrot Unveils RNB6 In-Dash Entertainment System with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Support

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
This looks incredibly cumbersome in comparison to keeping my iPhone in between my legs and only checking it at a red light, or when I'm merging onto a freeway.

I'm sure there are ppl in the market for an in dash device that restricts Siri...

..not me.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Quite impressive, about time in-dash systems for some loving.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
looks really cool, but idk, has parrot made in dash car equipment before. seems like a lot of potential for lag / bugs.

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
I wouldn't go anywhere near this knowing Parrots history of Head Units. Their first attempt at an iPod compatible one had over 50% return rate!

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Can't wait for this to evolve into the full windshield HUD driverless flying iCar (Air?) experience.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
OP neglects mention that the system itself runs Lollipop and needs no phone at all. THAT is why it is interesting, and is likely the future of modern car entertainment systems.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
This looks incredibly cumbersome in comparison to keeping my iPhone in between my legs and only checking it at a red light, or when I'm merging onto a freeway.

I'm sure there are ppl in the market for an in dash device that restricts Siri...

..not me.
I don't quite understand how this is cumbersome. To me it seems more cumbersome to have to place your iPhone between your legs, having to reposition it at every light. Added to that looking away from the road ahead of you, even if you like being a badass on the freeway is never really a good idea. Looking toward a phone between your legs generally does not leave the window in your peripheral vision I'm afraid. Heck - why do people even have a GPS that can inconveniently be placed on the window, if you can just look down at your phone right?

You are right, totally useless thing!

On a more serious note, I like the looks of it! Also good it can handle both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. If you have it you (and other possible drivers) are not restricted to having to have one type of phone. Also handy when reselling the car/device.

dr4stic

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2014
Interesting thing about this unit is that it'll actually connect directly into obd2 if you want car stats access. I wasn't able to find info on CarPlay supporting it, but supposedly the android auto protocol allows for access to that information. It also has a GPS antenna that both systems should allow to be passed through to the phone. It's gonna be an interesting new world for phones and car integration :)

The other connectors on the back look interesting... Two HDMI ports, one of which is mhl, an Ethernet port, Wi-Fi. I don't see a backup cam port which is weird.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
The first aftermarket in-dash system I see, that doesn't have laughable functionality.

However, I think it will still have a laughable price.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Yet another CarPlay device I can't use. My car has a really unusual head unit space which is effectively 1.5 DIN and not double DIN.

Would love to see one of those slide out screen radios supporting CarPlay.

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Ugh. I would love to be able to use any head unit other than my stock one in my 2013 Chevy Volt (slow, buggy, ugly), but the touch screen controls every aspect from the heating/cooling, radio, outdated nav, etc.

Right now, I use a iOttie XL holder with my iPhone 6+ and that does most of what I need, but it would be nice to have the big Apple CarPlay screen.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Looks like a very nice head unit. Could put my 8000 NEX to shame if executed properly.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Is this the same Parrot that announced a nice little adaptor and ampliphier that allowed connection between an airport express and a pair of unpowered stereo speakers? I don't recall that ever shipping.

I do have to admit I like the idea of obd2 connectivity, would be great if they could leverage this to allow an approaching iphone to unlock the owner's car via bluetooth.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Ugh. I would love to be able to use any head unit other than my stock one in my 2013 Chevy Volt (slow, buggy, ugly), but the touch screen controls every aspect from the heating/cooling, radio, outdated nav, etc.

Right now, I use a iOttie XL holder with my iPhone 6+ and that does most of what I need, but it would be nice to have the big Apple CarPlay screen.

It looks like this is designed to replace that, so it can be used to control heating etc.

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
Is this the same Parrot that announced a nice little adaptor and ampliphier that allowed connection between an airport express and a pair of unpowered stereo speakers? I don't recall that ever shipping.

I do have to admit I like the idea of obd2 connectivity, would be great if they could leverage this to allow an approaching iphone to unlock the owner's car via bluetooth.

+1 for the last thought. This is innovation :)

varera

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
I see no info about vehicle compatibility, first hand control interfaces for conditioning, diagnostics, etc.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Interesting thing about this unit is that it'll actually connect directly into obd2 if you want car stats access. I wasn't able to find info on CarPlay supporting it, but supposedly the android auto protocol allows for access to that information. It also has a GPS antenna that both systems should allow to be passed through to the phone. It's gonna be an interesting new world for phones and car integration :)

The other connectors on the back look interesting... Two HDMI ports, one of which is mhl, an Ethernet port, Wi-Fi. I don't see a backup cam port which is weird.

the video in the OP says "rear camera display"

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
This seems like reinventing the wheel

I would much rather see direct integration of a tablet (iPad) in place of these center consoles. The consumer experience could be so much better.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

..not me.

Or just do this instead:

http://nvsaudionj.blogspot.com/2014/09/iphone-6-plus-installed-in-car-dash-on.html?m=1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.