Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pioneer at CES 2016 this week announced its next-generation lineup of NEX aftermarket CarPlay systems, available in Spring 2016 for between $700 and $1,400. The new systems include the 7-inch AVIC-8200NEX and AVIC-7200NEX, 6.2-inch AVIC-6200NEX and AVIC-5200NEX and lower-end 7-inch AVH-4200NEX.

Pioneer-CarPlay-NEX.png
CarPlay on Pioneer's last-generation aftermarket NEX system

Pioneer's website does not distinguish what the differences are between its new NEX systems and existing AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVIC-6100NEX, AVIC-5100NEX and AVH-4100NEX models, which remain available for sale. The 7-inch in-dash units continue to support Siri Eyes Free and Google's rival Android Auto platform.

Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood are the official providers of aftermarket CarPlay systems, which bring Apple's in-dash software to older vehicles. HARMAN also announced its JBL Legend CP100 aftermarket CarPlay system at CES 2016, featuring a 6.75-inch capacitive touch screen, "push to talk" button for Siri, Android Auto support and more.
JBL-Legend-CP100.jpg
HARMAN's new JBL Legend CP100 aftermarket CarPlay system

CarPlay, available in a wide range of 2016 vehicles, provides hands-free or eyes-free access to Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Podcasts and third-party apps including Spotify, iHeartRadio, CBS Radio and MLB At Bat. The software uses Siri and interfaces with your vehicle's knobs, dials and buttons for safer access to common iPhone features.

Article Link: CES 2016: Pioneer and JBL Debut New Aftermarket CarPlay Systems

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Price aside its cheaper than a factory upgrade (for me by $1K). I've got the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX and it's fantastic and more importantly sounds better than any factory system (with the exception of maybe a Sony).

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I'm still waiting on a external solution, I have an older Ford with Sync and on top of the cost for a new head unit I have to have a steering wheel control adapter an XM adapter and a subwoofer adapter on top of the dash kit and that gets pretty high dollar after a while. In my last car years ago, I had a Harmon Kardon iPod unit that I loved because it was somewhat removable.

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
I'm still waiting on a external solution, I have an older Ford with Sync and on top of the cost for a new head unit I have to have a steering wheel control adapter an XM adapter and a subwoofer adapter on top of the dash kit and that gets pretty high dollar after a while. In my last car years ago, I had a Harmon Kardon iPod unit that I loved because it was somewhat removable.

I couldn't find anything online...but maybe XM will create a CarPlay app and that will eliminate at least one of those adapters. Maybe suggest it in their forums? It would certainly be an easy way to add XM to any car without going through the hassle of an antenna/extra hardware.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
As others have said, no Wireless CarPlay no go for me... Hopefully the next Alpine unit will have it.

Reactions: centauratlas

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Most of the time I have my iPhone plugged into power when I'm in the car anyway, especially if I'm using Apple/Google maps, so needing to plug my phone in isn't a deal breaker, as long as that also charges the phone. When I bought my car new 3 1/2 years ago I paid $2500.00 for a "premium" stereo and navigation package. I wanted a better stereo, I already knew the factory Nav was bogus. I just didn't realize HOW bogus, nor what counts as a premium stereo to car makers today. $1000.00 for a useful, good system would have been a cheaper solution than what I did.

Reactions: UhFive

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
According to JBL's website their unit is $399.95.

I believe he was referring to the Pioneer Units :p

But the fact that the JBL is only $400 is awesome. Looks to be on par with App Radio 4 and is cheaper.

neotorque

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
As a current (Alpine) CarPlay user, the people waiting for wireless are wasting their time. For 98% of drives, you want to be plugged in anyway, just for battery life reasons.

Yes, for very short drives, it would be nice to have wifi/Bluetooth autoconnect as an option, but if you get your stereo installed by any decent place, they should be able to wire it so that the plug is right in your center console so plugging it in is as simple as inserting your key. It honestly does not put me out one bit.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
JBL.
Price is right, Simple interface is right.
No HD Radio :( I don't think I can do without HD radio... it's so crisp...

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Seems OLED would be ideal for automotive applications. One of the things I hate about all these touch-screen headunits is that even at night on their dimmest setting, the backlight is still too bright and it lights up even a totally dark screen. It would be nice if it only lit up the pixels that need to be lit up.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Seems OLED would be ideal for automotive applications. One of the things I hate about all these touch-screen headunits is that even at night on their dimmest setting, the backlight is still too bright and it lights up even a totally dark screen. It would be nice if it only lit up the pixels that need to be lit up.

The background on my 7100 Pioneer is black...

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
am I the only carplay user that is underwhelmed by it? admittedly, I've only had it for a week, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. i've used it to play music via spotify, listen/send text messages, and used apple maps for navigation. i honestly don't see it as that much of an improvement over just the phone (via bluetooth). what am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The background on my 7100 Pioneer is black...

It doesn't matter what color it is displaying in the background, I'm talking about backlighting (and the lack of backlighting on OLED screens). The 7100 Pioneer, and pretty much every headunit with a screen ever, uses a typical side-lit LCD screen. Meaning that even when it is displaying all-black across the entire screen, the backlight is still on and is still shining through.

Reactions: mdelvecchio

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
$700-$1400 ??!! I'm in the wrong business...

I few weeks ago, I was found a pretty good deal on the Pioneer AppRadio4 which has CarPlay. I found it for $364 shipped using a discount code. I was a little suspect of the deal, but when it was delivered, it was perfect.

Many people may disagree, but I think these units are so over priced. The differences between the higher end units do not seem worth spending the extra cash on them.

As others have said, no Wireless CarPlay no go for me... Hopefully the next Alpine unit will have it.

I am waiting for the wireless CarPlay for my cars. Hopefully it won't be $1k+ or I will just end up with a cheaper corded one.

Reactions: bruinsrme

chrisone

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013

Completely agree!

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
As a current (Alpine) CarPlay user, the people waiting for wireless are wasting their time. For 98% of drives, you want to be plugged in anyway, just for battery life reasons.

Yes, for very short drives, it would be nice to have wifi/Bluetooth autoconnect as an option, but if you get your stereo installed by any decent place, they should be able to wire it so that the plug is right in your center console so plugging it in is as simple as inserting your key. It honestly does not put me out one bit.

However, none of us know of the future. If someone were to get a wireless carplay device today and the iPhone 7 included wireless charging... then it would be a perfect match. Sure you would still have to take your device out of your pocket, but if you have a wireless charging cradle then there are no cables to run or plug in/out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.