Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sleep Number already has a line of beds that use its SleepIQ technology, which helps people adjust their beds and get better sleep than before. Today at CES 2016, the company announced the "IT" bed, which the company says will make customers "smarter, healthier and happier."

Like other SleepIQ beds, the IT features biometric sensors that track heart rate, movement and breathing via your body. The IT, however, also features ActiveComfort technology, so the bed will use data it has collected to recommend a customer's ideal level of firmness, comfort and support every day. Users can see the recommendations and make adjustments with the SleepIQ app, which connects the iPhone to the bed via Bluetooth.

The IT can also connect to other health tracking services via the SleepIQ API. This allows the IT to make more advanced sleeping recommendations. For instance, it can recommend whether to sleep earlier based on your diet, or it can connect to your iPhone's calendar and tell you to go to sleep at a certain time so that you can be well rested for a meeting at 8 a.m.

The IT bed's pricing starts at $1,000 and will be available in Summer 2016 in all standard mattress sizes.

The SleepIQ app is available for free in the App Store [Direct Link]

Article Link: CES 2016: Sleep Number Announces iPhone-Connected 'IT' Smart Bed

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Ah yes, CES - where half is vaporware, and the other half are vulnerable and/or simply crappy IoT (or IoS, Internet of ****, whichever you prefer) devices.

Really looking forward to buying a mattress that collects my health data and that a hacker can probably data mine in about 2 months after I purchase it. But hey, it's supposed to make me happier, so why not?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Ah yes, CES - where half is vaporware, and the other half are vulnerable and/or simply crappy IoT (or IoS, Internet of ****, whichever you prefer) devices.

Really looking forward to buying a mattress that collects my health data and that a hacker can probably data mine in about 2 months after I purchase it. But hey, it's supposed to make me happier, so why not?
I don't understand what a hacker would do with health data.

But at the same time, I don't understand why I'd need a smart bed.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I don't understand what a hacker would do with health data.

But at the same time, I don't understand why I'd need a smart bed.

Me neither, but you hit the nail on the head on that last sentence. I just don't want my bed to be connected to the Internet. It's just weird.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
My wife and I love our sleep number bed. If this helps to know what our number dshould be in all for it. Plus learning how were sleeping without wearing anything is excellent. Great beds. I won't buy anything else for my kids even. They are fantastic.
Ditto here, haven't put my kids in one yet though.

I sure hope this is a software upgrade available to those of us with SleepIQ enabled beds as it doesn't sound like it requires any additional hardware than I already have.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have a tempurpedic bed, which we purchased a couple of years ago. previous we had the sleep number bed. I will go back as I prefer air to sponge for sleeping. When I do, this seems like a very good choice and the price is lower than what I paid for the sponge.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I currently have a Sleep Number that's about 7 years old and I was starting to look into replacing it. I like the Sleep Number so they were definitely a consideration, but all the decent ones seem to run over $3k, which I'm not paying. This is pretty interesting for $1k considering that their previous "smart bed" was like $11k or something insane. I think they must be feeling the pressure from Casper & Saatva and all those guys.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
There seem to be two kinds of responses to any extension of the Internet of Things. "The faceless THEY will be able to monitor my preferred bed firmness! THEY will know what time I get up to go pee!" And the second, "Wow, cool!"

I'm in the second camp...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Ditto here, haven't put my kids in one yet though.

I sure hope this is a software upgrade available to those of us with SleepIQ enabled beds as it doesn't sound like it requires any additional hardware than I already have.
Ours is nearing 10 years old now so definitely before this type of hardware. Though, it still feels as new as the day we got it ... well, we added a pillow top so it feels better actually. ;)

Although, we saw the heated and cooled bed. That we could definitely use. Dual side of course!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.