CES 2017: ConnectSense Announces HomeKit-Compatible Sensors and Bluetooth Extender

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At the Consumer Electronics Show that's taking place this week, ConnectSense is showing off its latest connected home products, including HomeKit-compatible sensors and a new Bluetooth Extender.

ConnectSense's Bluetooth Extender serves as a Bluetooth to Wi-Fi converter and is designed to allow users to access and control their Bluetooth-enabled sensors and products outside of their homes.

[​IMG]

The Bluetooth Extender works with HomeKit or with the ConnectSense Cloud, and when paired with ConnectSense's new Bluetooth-enabled temperature and water sensors, it allows those sensors to be accessed from anywhere. It also works with other Bluetooth-enabled sensors, such as those from Elgato's Eve lineup.

With ConnectSense cloud, sensor data is saved to the cloud and notifications can be sent to a smartphone or via email. Using the ConnectSense Bluetooth Extender, HomeKit users do not need to have an Apple TV or an iPad to access their Bluetooth-enabled accessories, which were previously the only way to use Bluetooth HomeKit products when away from the home.

ConnectSense is also showing off its Smart Outlet and the aforementioned new sensors, the Bluetooth Temperature & Humidity Sensor, which detects room temperature, and the ConnectSense Bluetooth Water sensor, designed to detect water and send alerts before damage can be caused. Both sensors work over Bluetooth and are powered by AAA batteries.

[​IMG]
    Water Sensor on left, Temperature Sensor on right

Pricing and specific release dates for the sensors and the Bluetooth Extender have not yet been announced.

Article Link: CES 2017: ConnectSense Announces HomeKit-Compatible Sensors and Bluetooth Extender

2. Relentless Power, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Bluetooth is definitely the theme this year at CES. Likely with Bluetooth 5 coming. That said, I can't justify a water/humidifier Bluetooth sensor. Especially being It's runs on batteries and I'm not sure how efficient it would be.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

4. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I don't have this one, but I have the Eve temperature sensors. They run for a long time on a couple of batteries.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think all the water seNsors are battery powered.

7. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

Bluetooth Low Energy is extremely efficient. I'm not sure whether you are doing this, but people really need to stop thinking of Bluetooth energy usage from the classic bluetooth standpoint (headphones/headset/speaker).

My company has placed a ton of Bluetooth iBeacons that run for over a year on a couple of AA batteries. I would expect comparable life expectancy from a sensor that transmits less frequently, but has sensor input to process as well.

8. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

These sensors will run for an estimated 8-12 months. We don't have the final number yet but it's safe to say you will not be running around changing batteries very often.

Battery power is also key because many places where you may have leaks like basements or under sinks don't have easy access to power

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Excellent points and thank you for sharing the battery feedback. I never considered the concerns with water near the outlet for this product, where Bluetooth battery powered devices can be placed in a more discreet location.

10. robnbill macrumors member

I think these sensors and the BT extender/repeater will be very important additions to the Apple HomeKit system. I was waiting for a BT extender for use with some other products and HK enabled water sensors - hadn't thought about the water sensor being BT - makes a lot of sense.

Hoping these are available soon.

11. rhett7660, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

I would say, put them in your calendar to change when you do your smoke alarms, if you have the battery operated ones that require a yearly change. I am seriously looking at these for two areas in my house.

12. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

They will also notify you when the battery is low, one of the ways connected technology is better!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---
    Thanks @robnbill cant wait to get them in your hands later this year!

13. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Bam! That takes care of that issue! I like that even better!!!!

14. robnbill macrumors member

Question: does the BT extender work in conjunction with the ATV4 in communicating via BT. Does the extender AND the ATV4 each send a BT signal?