CES 2017: iDevices Unveils Wireless Wall 'Instant Switch'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iDevices today announced the latest product in its smart home lineup, debuting the iDevices Instant Switch, a remote wireless wall switch. Designed to pair via Bluetooth with existing products, the Instant Switch works with HomeKit and Alexa-enabled accessories.

[​IMG]

iDevices has designed the Instant Switch to work anywhere with either a built-in Command adhesive backing that allows it to be attached to any wall or an iDevices wall plate that allows it to fit over any standard two-screw wall plate.

Because it's peel and stick, it can be put on any wall, and it includes two CR2032 coin cell batteries that allow it to run for two years without needing to be charged.

[​IMG]

When paired with an iDevices' Wall or Dimmer Switch, the new Instant Switch enables a three-way control configuration. Instant Switch can be set up to control any device, like lights, from any room in the house.
    iDevices is showing off the Instant Switch at CES this week. It will launch to the public in mid-2017 and it will be priced at $49.95.

Article Link: CES 2017: iDevices Unveils Wireless Wall 'Instant Switch'

2. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

so, the switch is turned "on" and the bluetooth bulb/device is powered "off" but this switch activates the bulb/device and can turn it on/off with the switch/app?

does that mean there is some trickle power being used to the bulb/device to keep it "ready to use" whenever?

3. coolfactor macrumors 601

$50 for a switch. Seems to fit with the normal insane pricing of home construction parts. I once saw a plastic dryer outlet for $20, yet it probably only cost $1.00 to make. Crazy what people choose to pay.

4. TheRealTVGuy macrumors 6502a

TheRealTVGuy

So this is a switch to control a switch?

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

It's not just about what the cost is to make something.
    All the R&D costs have to be built into the price.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Yes. This is how all smart bulbs work. They are always using some power to talk to the hub.

7. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

8. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

thanks I don't have any smart devices/stuff in the house (go ahead and say I'm not smart...flame suit on) so I was just curious. I don't think I'd do anything smart to my house now, and just wait until the day we move to a different house.

but I always like to try to understand the tech now so I am ready.

9. Dboggus macrumors newbie

I really like the look of the iDevices wall switch (not the one this article is about but the one it says this works with) but they haven't officially launched yet. They had a release date of Q3 2016 and it still says pre-order on their website. Also at $100 per switch I'm not sure it's worth it to not have to walk down my stairs to turn the light off when my kids forget to do so.

I really like the idea of not having to have a hub and I don't like things like the Hue because the physical switch isn't very elegant and my kids and wife are not going to want to open an app or talk to their phones/iPads to turn the lights on and off.

10. knemonic macrumors 6502a

So I'm confused, since it's HomeKit, could I use this as a stand alone switch to turn on my hue lights through HomeKit? Or will this control other idevices and that's it, though those devices and this switch can be controlled through HomeKit?

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

This is essentially the iDevice equivalent to Lutron's Pico Remote.

It has an added advantage of HomeKit built right in but Lutron's making an announcement tonight and i'm betting they'll have more integrations.

Glad to see new iDevices stuff though they do a solid job of supporting HomeKit and their design is nice.

12. danranda macrumors member

danranda

All I want is button/switch like this, that will control their regular outlet switch (https://store.idevicesinc.com/idevices-switch/).
    Flic buttons are great, but don't directly control HomeKit devices.
    Logi(tech) recently came out with a wall button/switch but doesn't appear to directly control HomeKit devices either.

My hope is this device does it.

13. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

From the wording, it sounds like it'll work with any HomeKit product, but if you need a Hue switch, you're better off getting the Philips-branded one. It has four buttons for controlling Hue lights. Sounds like this is best paired with iDevices products -- a lot of companies make their own switches now.

14. knemonic macrumors 6502a

I have 12 philips Hue switches, which is the max per hub, so I'm always on the lookout for quick switches that can control Hue. The Logitech pop were a great idea until the stop working a few weeks later. Resetting the system to factory settings did nothing so I returned them. Also they only worked through ifttt to get to hue which caused its own issues too.

Really not interested in adding another hub but switches that work with HomeKit negate ifttt or similar services cause they're local. In fact it would be nice to replace some of the hue switches with 3rd party so I could use their motion sensors since they are really fast for turning on the lights.

A thought I have had is HomeKit could be the ultimate bridge in having two hubs though. I believe because HomeKit is the central station, having two hubs means HomeKit could facilitate a switch on one hub turning on a light on another, just haven't had the inclination to try it since I don't want to buy another hub unless I have too.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Using HomeKit is how some Lutron owners are getting past the 50 device limit on their Bridge. I hope Philips has an announcement soon about their CES 2017 products

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Unless the power is interrupted or a fuse is blown, then I'm curious to how this would be affected.

17. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Interesting. One thing holding me up on looking into using HomeKit more is when I use control panel on my phone to control hue, id say 1/5 times all the lights don't change/turn on/off. I use the switches mostly but it's in my to do list of things to figure out why. But that's good others are figuring this out.

18. ironpw macrumors newbie

ironpw

--- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2017 ---
    it might be a great addition to the night stand. It beats the Clapper for sure!

19. knemonic macrumors 6502a

The results are the same, if the power is out the lights/hub wouldn't turn on just like regular lights. If there was a quick brown out/flicker, the bulbs/hub reset and self resolve. And if a fuse blew, you'd have the same issue with regular lights, replace/flip the breaker back on.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2017 ---
    The Logitech pop switches? I had those for a few weeks and returned them after they just stopped working. They aren't HomeKit but I was able to use them through ifttt to control hue and other ifttt triggers.

20. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

You've just describe the entire Apple accessory ecosystem.

21. azulon1 macrumors newbie

This switch is a fail. Look at incipio with their new things. That switch is a dimmer and on off switch with a motion sensor. They sell it for merely 59.99. I devices is smoking some really good stuff.pricing is disgusting.