Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kingston Digital has introduced the DataTraveler Ultimate GT, the world's largest USB flash drive with 2TB of storage space and USB 3.1 Gen 1 speeds.

kingston-2tb-flash-drive.jpg

The DataTraveler Ultimate GT has double the capacity of Kingston's DataTraveler HyperX Predator 1TB flash drive released in 2013.

The flash drive is bulkier than average, but it is still much smaller than a full external SSD. The stick is designed with zinc-alloy metal casing for shock resistance.

DataTraveler Ultimate GT ships in February and will be available in 1TB and 2TB capacities. Pricing was not disclosed, but well above $1,000 is likely.

Article Link: CES 2017: Kingston Debuts World's Largest USB Flash Drive With 2TB Storage

samcan

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
In ~2006g I paid $450 for an 8GB USB drive thinking how amazing it was so much data could be stored in such a small space. 3 years later they were $50 and now I'm routinely given 32gb USBs that hold a single promotional PDF.

I look forward to making this same comment in 10 years with slightly different numbers.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Good luck in plugging that bulk into your laptop without ruining its ports.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
This is pretty impressive.
I wouldn't ever buy one due to the cost, but I look forward to a day that this will be affordable.

I am just curious, has anyone ever tried running thumb drives in a software RAID?

Reactions: centauratlas

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
I wouldn't ever buy one due to the cost, but I look forward to a day that this will be affordable.

I am just curious, has anyone ever tried running thumb drives in a software RAID?

Yes, I did a RAID0 over four 8GB USB2 drives back in the days - just to see if it would work. It did, and due to slow flash, it didn't saturate the bus :)

Reactions: Juicy Box

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
But why? In this day and age, where we are locking down our machines for security; where most external devices are blocked by admis; where we have servers and clouds; why would you need something like this and spend that kind of money? What is the use case for this?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
"Ultimate"? "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Still cool to have that much capacity. I look forward to the day where it is available at low prices and a smaller form factor.

Reactions: centauratlas

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Jesus why? That form factor is going to put a lot of torsional force on the USB port.

Mousse

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Wowzah...dat price tag for increasing my sneakernet speed. I'll stick with 256GB for now, since I have not needed to transfer 150GB at any time so far. In a couple of years when the price is right, I'm getting a few.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

You bet! And as shown in the two minute video below (featuring eight drives at the end), it can actually speed up write times:

But why? In this day and age, where we are locking down our machines for security; where most external devices are blocked by admis; where we have servers and clouds; why would you need something like this and spend that kind of money? What is the use case for this?
You can encrypt flash drives for security, allow external devices on your own computers, and avoid the relatively low data caps, subscription costs, and slooow transfer speeds of cloud storage. With 4K video around the corner, I'm guessing a niche market will find these devices immensely useful for video transfers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.