Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CES 2017: LaCie Rugged and d2 Drives Updated With More Speed, Higher Storage, and USB-C or Thunderbolt 3

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At CES today LaCie announced "significant" updates for its LaCie Rugged and d2 computer storage solutions, beefing up each product with more speed, increased storage capacity, and better compatibility with modern computers, including Thunderbolt 3 on the LaCie d2.

The updated LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C solution has support for USB 3.0-compatible computers, as well as models with USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, and includes an integrated Thunderbolt cable that works with both first-generation Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2. Capacity options are available up to 5TB, with included Seagate BarraCuda drives for speedy transfers. The top-of-the-line version includes a 1TB SSD and can deliver speeds of up to 510MB/s, which LaCie said is a 30 percent increase from the previous models.

The company also gave details on the new LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 3 storage solution, which it called "a great companion to limited-capacity SSD-based laptops and all-in-one computers." Specifically, LaCie mentioned that the accessory "performs great" on the new MacBook Pro line, and includes capacities up to 10TB with speeds up to 240MB/s, representing a 10 percent jump from the previous generation.

Featuring speeds of up to 240MB/s, a ten percent improvement over the previous generation, photographers can spend less time moving files from camera cards into Adobe Lightroom. Dual Thunderbolt 3 ports mean the user can daisy chain dual 4K displays, a single 5K display or up to six total LaCie d2 drives--all through a single cable connected to their computer.

It's even possible to power a compatible laptop such the latest MacBook Pro® through a USB-C port. That's one less cable cluttering up the desktop. The LaCie d2 is also backed by a five-year limited warranty, the most generous in the industry.
Beginning sometime in the first quarter of 2017, both the LaCie Rugged and LaCie d2 devices will be available for users to purchase worldwide. Starting at $249.99, the LaCie Rugged drive will come in 2TB, 4TB and 5TB HDD and 500GB and 1TB SSD capacities. The higher-tier LaCie d2 drive will start at $429.99 and will come in 6TB, 8TB and 10TB capacities.

Article Link: CES 2017: LaCie Rugged and d2 Drives Updated With More Speed, Higher Storage, and USB-C or Thunderbolt 3

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
LaCie is the only company I know that is more overpriced than Apple.

They take 250$ for a 2TB drive, which costs like 80-90$ in retail. So you pay 160$ for a case that probably costs 10-20$ in production, if not less. And from my experience, they install the cheapest, junkiest and faulty hard drives in their cases.

Apple may be overpriced, but offers quality, and they need to cover their R&D. Lacie's hard drives are shiny on the outside but junk on the inside. And don't tell me it takes lots of R&D to design a hard drive case.

I often play with the thought of buying a LaCie-drive, only to remove the drive and install one I know to be reliable for more than a year. :p

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
What drive does LaCie put in their externals? I used to buy WD but they used the slower green drives. It ended being a better value to buy a shell from new egg with the ports I needed and a quality drive.

Reactions: johnnyturbouk
Comment
This looks like a pretty mundane and predictable upgrade. With the implementation of USB C, these hyper-inflated (cost) external drives are essentially redundant; furthermore, the real world differences between tb2 vs USB 3 C is neglible.

I have the former LaCie thunderbolt 2 drive, from which I replaced the HDR with an SSD. I then compared it to my £15 inatek USB 3 c enclosure with UASP, and the difference was negligible! Having gutted the drive and voided my warranty, the drive was very unreliable with 3rd party ssds, it now makes for a perfect, albeit expensive, doorstop, with a built in light.

I would rather spend the cost on a decent external dock.

Finally, correct me if I am wrong but with a maximum data transfer of circa 500mb/s it appears they are still utilising sata3 connectors, pci-e and NV flash may have been a better route, especially to justify the cost of these.

Last edited:
Comment

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Dear Seagate,

- I need a 3TB drive no higher than 9.5mm
- I need a 3TB SSHD no higher than 12.5mm
- I don't want 5400 RPM, I want 7200 RPM
- I don't care about preassembled external drives
- Please stop skimping on SSHD flash

Regards

Last edited:
Comment

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
What drive does LaCie put in their externals? I used to buy WD but they used the slower green drives. It ended being a better value to buy a shell from new egg with the ports I needed and a quality drive.
They are owned by Seagate so there's a good chance they will be using their drives.

EDIT: It says Seagate in the article. :oops:
Capacity options are available up to 5TB, with included Seagate BarraCuda

Comment

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
My LaCie thunderbolt 2 drive works fine, though I would have gone with a cheaper option if I had to do it over again. I find most USB 3 drives to be plenty fast and a much better value.

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
They are owned by Seagate so there's a good chance they will be using their drives.

EDIT: It says Seagate in the article. :oops:

Yeah, but Seagate makes different drives. What model segate drive? This has a huge impact on real world performance. Also, Seagate has made some pretty terrible high capacity drives in recent years. Drives that lose data. They have gotten better, but I'd rather know they aren't trying to unload their old equipment in a new shell.

And the BarraCuda line has both 5900 and 7200 drives. They subclassify economic and power drives under the BarraCuda badge.

Last edited:
Comment

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
Finally, a hard drive the looks like it could double as a flotation device!

BetterFloat.png

Comment

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
It's amazing to me the d2 drives have remained basically unchanged for years. I took this photo back in 2006:

There's a LaCie d2 just hanging out. 10 years of a very similar design. They got rid of the heat dissipating fanned design but it's basically the same.
I had 4 of them in one of those cool disk holders LaCie used to make. I am guessing this unit isn't compatible.

Comment

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I bought at least 30 of the original D2 Quadra drives for myself and various clients. Loved the built in heatsink and passive cooling. These drives were rock solid and some were run very hard. The only failures I had was with 3TB models, which freaked out in the first year (LaCie warranty support was great). All the other drives were driven hard for 5+ years with no problem whatsoever.

The switch to the smooth case for the D2 made me less enthusiastic. Since Seagate has acquired LaCie I have become skeptical.

Comment

macman312

macrumors 6502
Nice picture there - time for a matching keyboard from Apple?

Came to say exactly the same thing haha.

I probably will grab a 2TB rugged drive. They seem to be one of the best out there even though seagate has bought LaCie.

LaCie has never let me down. Still have their lego brick design drive. 80GB! In 2006 that cost me over $300. It still works.

I also love their Porsche design drives.

Reactions: bernuli
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.