Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Speck, best known for the cases and accessories it makes for Apple's line of products, is showing off two new protective cases at this year's Consumer Electronics Show. The Presidio Clear is Speck's first drop-resistant laptop case, while the Presidio Show is its latest iPhone case.

The Presidio Clear is made with a dynamic transparent material that Speck is calling "Impactium Clear," and according to the company, it is able to absorb and disperse shock, protecting the MacBook from drops as high as four feet.

speckpresidioclear-800x544.jpg

It's made from the same material as Speck's Presidio smartphone cases and is entirely transparent, preserving the design of the MacBook. It is UV resistant so it won't yellow over time. The case snaps on to the front and the bottom of the MacBook, and a raised edge around the case offers a no-slip grip that makes it easier to hold on to one of Apple's thin notebooks.

For the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus (and the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus), Speck is debuting new clear Presidio Show cases that are designed to match the colors of Apple's latest devices. The Show was specifically made for the Jet Black iPhone, giving users a way to keep it safe while showing off its glossy finish.

The Show uses Speck's Impactium material, which the company says will protect the iPhone from drops up to 10 feet (this is Speck's only clear case with the superior drop protection). While a black version is available now, gold, rose gold, and silver versions will be available in the near future.

speckpresidioshow-800x342.jpg

The Presidio Show for the iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus is available for $39.95 starting today from the Speck website.

The Presidio Clear, which will be priced at $99.95 and comes in Clear and Onyx Black, will be available for the 13-inch MacBook Pro in February of 2017. Presidio Clear cases for additional MacBook models will be available later in the year.

Article Link: CES 2017: Speck Launches New Drop-Protective Presidio Cases for MacBook Pro and iPhone

Reactions: bilkel

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
How is that different on iPhone than the presidio clear already out for 7Plus?

Or are they just bundling the release and telling people about it?

I wouldn't wanna bulk up my 2016 pro

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
The day I buy a case to protect my MacBook from drops is the day I will buy Panasonic Toughbooks for the rest of my sorry life.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Looks alright, but I'm wondering about heat dissipation, especially on the rMBP. That's the only reason I never put a case on my rMBP. The underside transfers a lot of heat to the desk on which it sits.

Last edited:

RandomRazer

Suspended
Jun 14, 2016
tech21 did somethign similiar with a combination of rubber and plastic. the rubber left marks on the macbook.....

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
tech21 did somethign similiar with a combination of rubber and plastic. the rubber left marks on the macbook.....

I had that issue. However, I was able to easily remove the rubber marks with a magic eraser easily. It should not deter anyone.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Not trying to be a smartass, but regarding soldered-in, glued-in components; doesn't this negate the need for protective what-nots and such? (Edited) -Wait, maybe it's about the lack of mag-safe. More things are gonna get yanked. -And not just your dongles.

RandomRazer

Suspended
Jun 14, 2016
I had that issue. However, I was able to easily remove the rubber marks with a magic eraser easily. It should not deter anyone.
u use the mr clean magic eraser? u do realize that its like a super fine sand paper....that u used on ur macbook LOL

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
(...) will be available for the 13-inch MacBook Pro in February of 2017 (...) additional MacBook models will be available later in the year.

Wow, these guys are late. I really like Speck cases, it's kept my 2013 MacBook Air immaculate for the past three years. I'll wait and see what they come up with, but in the meantime, I got one of these:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MQVJ9GX/

It's been sold out, but if you search on Amazon, you'll see lots of these basically selling the same Chinese case. It's fine for now. Not great, but fine.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I definitely think there's already other vendors out there that implement and execute the same features. Although, I do see that Speck has offered a 10 foot drop for the iPhone. We're other vendors do not give you an estimate of protection with dropping your iPhone.

bilkel

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017
USA
Very good to see all the new plastics and manufacturing processes that Samsonite brings to Speck. The team does an amazing job keeping my Apple devices looking new forever.

Reactions: bartvk

iKen1

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
We had a clear case back in the day of the 17" MacBook Pro. It was fine at first but little bits of detritis started to accumulate between the case and the cover making the whole thing look disgusting.

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
We had a clear case back in the day of the 17" MacBook Pro. It was fine at first but little bits of detritis started to accumulate between the case and the cover making the whole thing look disgusting.
Well yeah, that's why you clean it every so often. It happens to my iPhone cases as well.

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
Can someone give me a reason to buy the Speck version instead of the ones on eBay for around £8?

I can't say for the MacBook Pro versions. But for my MacBook Air, the cheap ones would quickly start cracking in the corners. The Speck didn't have that problem.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
That case looks really slim. I've always been a fan of speck and I have their case on my 2013 rMBP. I'd buy it and if I feel like it's not worth the $100 I'd return it. But then again I'd wait till it goes on sale before I buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.