Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Withings, Kérastase, and L'Oréal have teamed up to create the world's first Bluetooth-connected smart hairbrush that's able to interface with your smartphone.

The "Kérastase Hair Coach Powered by Withings" combines sensors created by Withings with signal analysis algorithms designed by L'Oréal to determine the quality of the hair and "monitor the effects" of your haircare routine.

withingsbrush-800x592.jpg

There's a built-in microphone that listens to the sound of hair brushing to determine details about frizziness, dryness, split ends, and breakage, plus a feature that measures the force being applied to the hair and the scalp while you brush.

An accelerometer and a gyroscope analyze brushing patterns and count brush strokes, haptic feedback capabilities alert you if you're brushing too hard, and conductivity sensors can tell if you're brushing your hair wet or dry to provide accurate measurements.

The hairbrush connects to a mobile app that analyzes the data and ambient weather to provide a hair quality score, data on brushing habits, and customized product recommendations for different hair types.

withingsbrushapp-800x501.jpg
"Withings has a track record for empowering everyday objects such as bathroom scales and watches with sensors that provide people with insight into their behaviors, and we're excited to now bring this expertise to the beauty industry," said Cedric Hutchings, Vice President of Digital Health for Nokia. "Each time someone uses the smart brush they get rich data they never before had access to, which can improve their overall hair care experience."
The hairbrush will be priced at under $200 and will be available at Kérastase hair salons, the Kérastase website, and the Withings website in the fall of 2017.

Article Link: CES 2017: Withings Teams Up With L'Oreal for Smart Hairbrush

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I don't really see the point...? I think people can tell if they're brushing too hard by the whole "does it hurt" thing we have built in. LOL
[doublepost=1483493641][/doublepost]Mac Fly (film)- I'm waiting for Bluetooth toilet paper. Tell me if I'm wiping too hard and give me insight into my wiping patterns to see if they're hurting my bum.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I really don't want to be nagged by an expensive hairbrush several times a day.
This is not the future I want.

I can see it all now.... it's all sexy & exciting in the beginning. Then I avoid its texts, block its reminder alerts. I avoid going home. --Start brushing my hair with strange new, cheap brushes, borrowing (shudder) combs... It'll all end in tears.

(Besides, that handle looks super slippery & annoying for a $200 brush.)

Last edited:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
And children everywhere got more embarrassed when they didn't brush there hair before school

The toilet paper idea would be cool I guess #IBS

Reactions: FelixDerKater
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.