CES 2018: Canary Launches Cheaper 'View' Indoor Security Camera for $99

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Canary today at CES announced a new indoor security camera called the "Canary View," which comes with a cheaper $99 price tag thanks to the removal of certain features from the original Canary device (via The Verge).

[​IMG]

Specifically, the Canary View lacks the company's "HomeHealth" technology, which monitors a home's temperature, humidity, and overall air quality in the $169 Canary All-in-One camera. Otherwise, Canary View will perform all of the basic security camera functions, including iPhone compatibility, 1080p video capture, two-way Canary Talk, intelligent motion alerts, and more.

The device has a 147-degree wide-angle lens to capture footage, and can automatically transition to night vision when motion alerts appear in the dark. Some features on the Canary View -- including Canary Talk -- are limited to paying Canary Membership subscribers. The membership costs $9.99/month and updated last October when the company began charging for previously free features for its security cameras, citing "significant" cloud expenses.

The Canary View camera is available to purchase today on the company's website for $99.

Article Link: CES 2018: Canary Launches Cheaper 'View' Indoor Security Camera for $99

2. ayale99 macrumors 6502

But, where is the promised Homekit integration?

3. walstib macrumors newbie

walstib

Still no HomeKit integration? Then forget it.

4. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

Isn't this the same company that pulled the rug out from under their original customers?

No thanks, I think this Canary is going to go the way of the Dodo bird.

5. Derekeys macrumors regular

Bought 3 canaries for my home. Recommended it to my family, they bought 2 indoor and one flex for outdoors. When they pulled the bait and switch, we sold all of them and invested in Arlo. Haven't looked back, Alexa and IFTTT integration is basically all I want.

poo poo on Canary.

6. Braderunner macrumors 6502

Way too many smart home products require a subscription. No way.

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Don't see the point of this thing. Looks like it's already being beat by current market products. Maybe the original product will survive, with the added home analysis tech.

8. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

They screwed themselvs after that whole bait and switch thing. I owned 5 of the cameras and sold them all after that fiasco. The company has proved it can’t be trusted.

9. iBungie macrumors regular

I bought a Canary last year and while I liked many aspects of the device I returned it because despite the camera being rated at 1080 in advertising the recordings were limited to 720. Customer services said they limited this due to customers' bandwidth issues. Very kind of them but not at all what I expected from the description. It was suggested this would change in the future. Can anyone using a Canary advise what resolution their recordings are captured at?

10. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

They still have a blog promising the Canary Plus with HomeKit “in the fall”.... of 2016. After a year of delays, they simply stopped answering questions about it.

11. WBRacing, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Canary Connect is the near perfect example of much that is wrong with some of the cloud centric tech companies kicking around these days. There is absolutely no chance they will see any of my money, ever.

They've proven they can't be trusted and with that sort of business practice, when they almost certainly do go belly up, I expect (with my limited knowledge of them) that most of their devices will stop functioning.

Big fat Pass.

12. chef13007 macrumors newbie

Definitely not a trustworthy company, and I can't believe they're still in business. I expected class action lawsuits from the bait and switch. It was such an awesome idea, but they had to get greedy. I was an original backer of Canary and bought three more as Christmas gifts last year before the bait and switch. I regret ever buying their product.

13. legacyb4 macrumors 6502a

How do you find the battery life on the Arlo units? How often do you need to recharge them? Assuming there is some sort of "low power" warning notification?

14. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

I've looked into this, so I can't say from a first hand experience, but from what I've gathered, 2-3 weeks with relatively moderate use of motion based recording, and 4-6 weeks with light use of motion based recording.

Imo, if looking into a long term system, you probably want to look for a wired camera/cameras. Arlo cam's are still mostly 720p (for battery savings), and the more you use it, the worst the battery life. For indoor use, I'm sure it's not as big of a hassle.

15. Derekeys macrumors regular

Don't use the battery ones. I use the Arlo Q (plugged in). Sorry :( But, the Arlo Qs are fantastic. Love that they have Alexa integration and IFTTT. :)