CES 2018: Satechi Debuts New Dual Charging Station for iPhone and Apple Watch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

At this year's Consumer Electronics Show, Satechi is launching a new Smart Dual Charging Station designed to charge both the iPhone and the Apple Watch at once.

Made from silver or space gray aluminum, the Charging Station features two separate docks -- one that accommodates a Lightning cable to charge the iPhone and a second one that houses an Apple Watch charging puck to charge an Apple Watch.

Unlike some docks on the market, Satchi's option does not come with built-in cords, so you will need to supply your own cables. Cables are designed to wrap around the base of the Charging Station inserts to hide any excess. Satechi says that its dock distributes a total of 15W of power, providing fast yet safe charging capabilities.

Satechi's Smart Dual Charging Stand will be available for $64.99 starting in the spring of 2018.

Article Link: CES 2018: Satechi Debuts New Dual Charging Station for iPhone and Apple Watch
  2. Trik macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2011
    Washington, DC
    $65 and it has no cables?! I actually like this design, and I like that the Apple Watch is in nightstand mode... but without any cables I feel like this should be $39.99.
  3. jamface macrumors member

Jan 25, 2016
    What I'd like to know is, how did anyone manage to charge the phone and the watch at the same time before this product was made available?
  4. dannyyankou macrumors 604

Mar 2, 2012
    How is it smart if you need to supply your own cable, lol. It’s just a $65 iPhone dock with hole-punched piece of plastic to hold your Apple Watch. Hard pass.
  5. Relentless Power, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    I don't like stands like this with the iPhone standing vertically mounted, because if it was hit, it has the potential breakage of the lightning port area and or aftermath of the Fall. I prefer my iPhone to lay on a flat surface, similarly to what the AirPower or other charging units will offer.
  6. Braderunner macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2015
    $65 for something that hides YOUR cables that you plug in to YOUR chargers. What a deal! o_O
  7. Will.O.Bie macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2016
    I agree. If they are gonna charge $65 for a dock, at least have both cables built in already. I do like the design, just not priced correctly.
  8. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2010
    The design of this which puts the watch in nightstand mode while also providing a place for your phone is something I’ve searched for endlessly m, but the few that I’ve found were very expensive. This one follows that trend. As others have said, for $65 it should include the cables.
  9. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2011
    This and the Twelve South combined iPhone/Watch charging dock are the only ones that charge both iPhone and Watch and hold the Watch in the correct orientation. The Twelve South one looks decent and comes with cables, but costs $120 Anyone know of any others?
  10. dannyyankou macrumors 604

Mar 2, 2012
    Wow, I didn’t realize the iPhone cable wasn’t included. I thought they would at least build that in like most companies do.
  11. Massimo1926 macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2017
    What I’d like to see is a solution for charging company and personal iPhone + Watch simultaneously when I’m traveling, so that I avoid taking multiple cables and related adaptors with me. 1 cable and that’s it - that hopefully doesn’t cost $300.
    ... who needs a stand without cables?
  12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

Mar 2, 2012
    Belkin has a $99 on Amazon with the chargers included.
  13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

Oct 26, 2008
  14. Gammmas macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2017
    I would buy this at this price if the phone side was wireless charging stand solution rather than a cord
  15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Dec 15, 2010
    might as well just wait for the air power
  16. 69Mustang macrumors 603

Jan 7, 2014
    In between a rock and a hard place
    The stand looks neat. Overpriced in my opinion. Also very lazy marketing to attach "Smart" on a basic charger.

*Pedant alert*
    Charging cables aren't designed to wrap around the base. They are designed to charge iOS devices.;) The base is designed to be wrapped by a cable. Subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless.
  17. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2010
    Agree, but oddly we’ve seen stands like this for many years. Seems silly to put so much pressure on the port and cable.

Also seems like a missed opportunity to not offer a Qi version.
  18. testcard macrumors 68030

Apr 13, 2009
    Northumbria, UK
    Particularly as they've used an iPhone X.
  19. jetho macrumors member

Mar 22, 2016
    When I first saw the picture, I thought "This is exactly what I am looking for!" because it looks compact and has the watch in nightstand mode.
    But 65$ and there is neither a power brick nor any cables included? Well, no thanks.
  20. ImBuz macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2014
    You can find similar and better ones on Amazon for half the price