CES 2018: The Best of Pepcom With LaCie, Zagg, August, Ring and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At CES, there are several major media events like Unveiled, Pepcom, and ShowStoppers, which often serve as a way to see the highlights of the best products on display at the show without having to brave the show floor.

Pepcom took place last night, and MacRumors videographer Dan was on hand to seek out some of the most interesting products and accessories that were being demoed.

Unsurprisingly, Pepcom, like Unveiled, was filled with smart home products featuring Alexa, Google Assistant, and HomeKit support, but the focus was definitely on the former two integrations rather than Apple's smart home system.

Ring was showing off its newly announced recent devices, including the Stick Up Cam and the Ring Beams, outdoor lights with motion sensing that integrate with existing Ring security cameras and doorbells. Though many would like Ring to introduce HomeKit support, the company has not done so.

Noon had a neat smart lighting system with light switches that feature integrated OLED displays. Noon's system is designed to work with traditional bulbs because it replaces standard light switches, but it's pricey and doesn't include HomeKit support.

There were multiple smart locks on display, including the August Smart Lock and a smart lock from Yale, both of which do, in fact, have HomeKit support and work with your HomeKit setup.

Other products on display at Pepcom that were of interest included Zagg's new iPad Pro cases that combine keyboards with rugged protection, the Alexa-enabled Voice One from KitSound, and the Lightning-equipped LaCie hard drive created in partnership with DJI. LaCie and parent company Seagate have several other new storage solutions debuting at CES, which are listed on the Seagate website.

LaCie's hard drive is designed to allow you to automatically back up drone footage, and it can be controlled and accessed using the DJI app, but it also works with other non-DJI cameras and products.

Make sure to stay tuned to MacRumors for additional CES coverage, because there's a lot more to come with the show floor officially opening up this morning. We're highlighting all of the new products and accessories relevant to Apple users. To check out what we've shared so far, take a look at our CES 2018 hub.

Article Link: CES 2018: The Best of Pepcom With LaCie, Zagg, August, Ring and More

2. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I feel old enough to remember Steve Jobs' media event stealing the spotlight from the drab CES carousel of TVs and appliances. Good times. Look at CES 2018 now, all jam packed with goodies while Apple has turned into a bored rich recluse that endlessly rehashes its 5 year old heyday designs. :(

3. hlevolve macrumors regular

hlevolve

I spoke with Ring Tech Support yesterday and they said that the Apple Watch is only partly compatible with Ring right now but that they expect to have it fully compatible (Where you can watch video on the apple watch of what the ring camera recorded) by mid 2018.

I also asked about HomeKit support for the Ring Doorbell Pro and they told me they were excited to finally be allowed to officially announce that support would be added for Homekit this year (no specific date of course) but good to know that they are still onboard with doing that.

Just thought I would pass along the information!

EDIT: They also told me they had a mailing list for people to be notified when Homekit support would be made available so I asked to be added to that list as well. In the event some of you also would like to do this I would suggest contacting them. Otherwise I'm sure it will be pretty big news and you will hear about it pretty soon afterwards anyway.

4. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

Cnet shows that Apple’s heydays are over. What, who is Siri?

5. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

We kinda knew that before CNET turned it into a clickbait article.

Just look at each one of Apple's media events of the past years. It's like watching a TV show that's been bad for three seasons hoping this is the episode where it all turns around.

6. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

For me I’ve got the feeling history repeats. There was a time Apple support was a no brainer. Today it’s like the mid nineties where all novelties happens on Android, Alexa first and maybe a future support for über priced Apple products where the possibilities will be crippled and minimal compared to the competition.

7. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

LaCie. What is that, French? Does it give up halfway when you're trying to upload files?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2018 ---
    Noon. Are they selling electronics or they just don't know what time it is?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2018 ---
    Ring. What genius thought of this name?

8. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

With CNET I meant CES (autocorrection is like SIRI, most of the time it doesn’t understand)

9. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Ah ok. Well, Apple used to trounce CES in its absence. Now it's both absent and irrelevant.

10. Chupa Chupa, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You think these are "goodies"? Yes, Apple's Jan event usually offer a lot more exciting stuff than CES, but different times. Now Apple is equally boring, not flipped with CES not being exciting... unless getting notifications from your dishwasher excites you. Everything I've seen as "best of" CES so far has been a rehash of another company's product or a marginal upgrade to their existing product. For me I have stuff like it or it really doesn't interest me. Another Wi-Fi security cam or Apple Watch band. Flip a coin to which one is more cutting edge.

11. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I wouldn't dismiss them that easily. There's always the iterative part, sure, some kitsch robots, and the home appliance-notification center fodder. Then there's also hand-calling, voxels, rollable TVs, sub-screen fingerprint scanners and so forth. It's not that they'll become mainstream or even catch on. But it sure is refreshing to see other players trying to push the envelope while Apple is milking its same-ol' SKU collection that has become so incoherent it reminds of Sculley's days.

12. BiscottiGelato macrumors 6502

Laundry Folder!!!
    When it's on Amazon for $200, I'll buy!

13. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Succinctly put. Sad but horribly true. Yet they still sell old tech at new tech prices very well. Familiarity hasn't bred contempt from their followers. Yet.

14. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

There is literally nothing mentioned in the article that I have any interest in purchasing let alone having in my home. Getting old has its advantages.

15. RogueWarrior65 macrumors regular

Am I the only one who remembers when lights switches and door locks didn't require energy to work?

16. julesme macrumors regular

No one wants to admit it, but CES is in transition. It’s not the fault of the event organizers or participants. Most of the devices they are showing off are becoming mature, iterative, and less exciting.

A few years ago, people were still blown away by the latest mobile phone tech, 4K TV, Tesla, drones, fast 4G connections, over the top video streaming, etc., but I feel that time has passed.

17. winglet69 macrumors member

winglet69

Maybe I'm crazy, but perhaps having app-controlled, internet-connected door locks isn't the Greatest Idea Ever? It's one thing to have some script-kiddie messing about with your lighting settings, quite another to have them able to open your front door.

Ahhh what am I talking about. This is the age that eagerly embraces having their faces scanned in ultra high-resolution to uh...open their phones.

It seriously seems like we've run out of actual technical problems to solve so now we're just making up stuff for novelty.

18. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Still no mention of the 'Gemini' from Planet Computers.
    Really surprised by this macrumor editors as the Psion 5, Revo an Psion 3 were the blueprint of what would become modern day smartphones.

Maybe a full article coming soon.

19. doctor-don macrumors 65816

A couple of interesting items were the phone that, when opened, is a computer complete with keyboard and the healing device that, if it really works better than tens, speeds healing of injuries, not just alleviating pain.

How does a door lock communicate with my phone if my Wi-Fi is OFF (as in shut down while I'm out of town)?

20. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

C'mon CES 2018, release the Sony a7Siii already!

21. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It doesn't... Just like if you turn off power to your fridge while out of town your food inside would spoil. I guess you could buy a 3G hotspot and leave power to that if you don't want to use home wifi.

----------

What was the name of the light swich that has alexa support w the oled display?
    EDIT: found it and is $400 lol
    "Support for Amazon Alexa voice control is said to be released soon, according to Noon Home. The Noon Smart Lighting Starter Kit, which includes one room director and two extensions, costs US$400. An additional room director costs US$200. It’s now available at the company’s website and select Best Buy stores, and it will arrive at select Home Depot stores on November 15."

22. raskar macrumors member

raskar

Since early 2000 I hardly missed any of Steve job's keynotes, it was one special company then.

Since Cook took over, I watched keynotes few times.. it was obvious the lack of energy and excitement that Jobs used to bring.. but that wasnt my concern, it was how the company strategy has changed dramatically and almost exactly how you described it "endlessly rehashes its 5 year old heyday designs". One point to add on top, prices increased by 33 - 37% on various products without a real needed value in return!!

23. Alan Wynn macrumors member

I spoke to their VP of special projects (the person in charge of the HomeKit deal) here at CES and he gave a very different answer. He said the HomeKit software was done, but it was a business decision not to release it. They want Apple to make it so they “own” the customer, so that their app gets the notification, not the home app. If Apple does not allow that, they will not release it. He said that it had been ready for quite some time.

I am not holding my breath, although I am curious about a class action suit. :)

24. hlevolve macrumors regular

hlevolve

Well that is disappointing. I hate it when politics get in the way of a much better user experience and useful product... and I doubt it that Apple would cave to that demand. I can't stand the home app but I do still prefer homekit notifications go through that so if they improve it later on that everything home related still goes to one place. It seems like every time I try to use the Home app it doesn't connect to half of the devices and just shows "not responding" and won't work but if I go to the manufacturer's app then it connects almost immediately and works fine. I think there are still several glitches they need to work out there.

I wanted to contact Ring to make certain that they continue to hear from customers wanting this capability.