CES 2019: Anker Launching 'World's Smallest' USB-C Power Delivery Wall Charger Later This Month

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-certified accessory maker Anker today at CES 2019 announced that its PowerPort Atom PD 1 power adapter, which it calls "the world's smallest Power Delivery wall charger," will be available to order later this month.

Anker's PowerPort Atom PD 1

The PowerPort Atom PD 1 is about the size of the five-watt charger that comes in the box with every iPhone thanks to the use of gallium nitride components. Nonetheless, it has a max output of 30W, enough to charge not only smartphones but larger devices such as a 12-inch MacBook, Chromebook, or a Nintendo Switch.

The Atom series will be Anker's new line of slim, lightweight Power Delivery wall chargers, with a 60-watt dual USB-C port Atom PD 2 charger and a 100-watt dual USB-C, dual USB-A port Atom PD 4 charger also planned for release.

Anker first unveiled the Atom PD 1 at an event in New York City in October, but failed to meet its promised November release date at the time. The charger will be available exclusively on Amazon for $29.99 in the United States, according to the accessory maker, with a revised release date of January 2019.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: CES 2019: Anker Launching 'World's Smallest' USB-C Power Delivery Wall Charger Later This Month

User008

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
Dual -C ports is nice, but why the slow rollout of larger multi-port devices? I’m totally in the market for a 4-port USB-C wall adapter.

Reactions: naserbash

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Looking for something with 3+ USB-C PD ports. Anyone know of any?

Sappharad

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
The PowerPort Atom PD 1 is about the size of the five-watt charger that comes in the box with every iPhone thanks to the use of gallium nitride components. Nonetheless, it has a max output of 30W, enough to charge not only smartphones but larger devices such as a 12-inch MacBook, Chromebook, or a Nintendo Switch.
Except you click the link at the beginning of the article and there's literally a big giant 27W that fills the screen, and as you scroll down the page, it continues to say 27W.

Krizoitz

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
These powerpoint bricks are useless as well since they are American only.

Hardly. Aside from the US, that type of plug is also used in Japan, Canada and Mexico along with the rest of Central America, the northern part of South America, and the Philippines.

It may not be useful to YOU but that’s far from being useless. Beyond which I’m sure I’d theres a market, Anker will offer versions which use other plug types, but given CES is a US focused trade show it makes sense they’d show of US focused products.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2009
Nonetheless, it has a max output of 30W, enough to charge not only smartphones but larger devices such as a 12-inch MacBook, Chromebook, or a Nintendo Switch.

The Nintendo Switch is not USB-C compliant. If you don’t use the official Nintendo dick or charger, you run the risk of bricking your system.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

1rottenapple

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2004
Add an Apple logo, add a zero.
The console itself uses the PD standard to charge, it works perfectly with the google/apple 18W charger. The dock is a different story.
I can speak for my self but I use my MacBook Pro charger on my switch for over a year now. No issues. Love usb c. As long as it’s a quality charger I believe it’s fine. I wouldn’t use a $10 dollar charger for example.

jecowa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Is it small enough to not block the power outlets above and below the device? It's odd that they show it plugged into a power outlet with only one socket or whatever.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Won’t buy it if it’s not UL certified like most of their other chargers

Quite a bit of the Anker stuff is UL listed (or Intertek ETL or TUV, essentially the same). It's because they sell stuff in big-box stores, which unlike Amazon, require listing.

I recall, but I may be wrong, that there's some issue with high-count USB chargers that prevents them from being listed under the UL standard because the output current is too high for one supply.

Now AUKEY, I've never seen anything listed.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2004
Will it be safe? I’d rather it be well built than small.
Who knows for sure until the product is in the wild but Anker has good quality products. Ex google engineers I think that founded the company. There products are usually great quality. I have a charger/power bank with built in ac cord from them. Great quality after 3 yrs and many times traveling different countries getting abused Also bought the gf an Anker power bank that’s 4 yrs old and still going. I wouldn’t hesitate buying from them and they have great warranty. (Not paid by them :)

Reactions: SMacDuff

swm

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2013
good god, why the backwards facing connector? it should be facing down so noone accidentally hits it from the side and breaks the plug and/or connector...

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
good god, why the backwards facing connector? it should be facing down so noone accidentally hits it from the side and breaks the plug and/or connector...

Good observation. Or the connector should be implemented on the side, where the wire isn’t protruding into a desk, table, ect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.