CES 2019: Anker Launching 'World's Smallest' USB-C Power Delivery Wall Charger Later This Month

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple-certified accessory maker Anker today at CES 2019 announced that its PowerPort Atom PD 1 power adapter, which it calls "the world's smallest Power Delivery wall charger," will be available to order later this month.

[​IMG]
    Anker's PowerPort Atom PD 1

The PowerPort Atom PD 1 is about the size of the five-watt charger that comes in the box with every iPhone thanks to the use of gallium nitride components. Nonetheless, it has a max output of 30W, enough to charge not only smartphones but larger devices such as a 12-inch MacBook, Chromebook, or a Nintendo Switch.

The Atom series will be Anker's new line of slim, lightweight Power Delivery wall chargers, with a 60-watt dual USB-C port Atom PD 2 charger and a 100-watt dual USB-C, dual USB-A port Atom PD 4 charger also planned for release.

[​IMG]

Anker first unveiled the Atom PD 1 at an event in New York City in October, but failed to meet its promised November release date at the time. The charger will be available exclusively on Amazon for $29.99 in the United States, according to the accessory maker, with a revised release date of January 2019.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: CES 2019: Anker Launching 'World's Smallest' USB-C Power Delivery Wall Charger Later This Month

2. User008 macrumors newbie

Dual -C ports is nice, but why the slow rollout of larger multi-port devices? I’m totally in the market for a 4-port USB-C wall adapter.

3. 12643 macrumors newbie

I’d be interested in a smaller price tag, too. The world’s smallest, perhaps!

4. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

Hah that is literally the “word” that came to my mind too

5. pika2000 macrumors 601

$30? Haha sure. The price will quadruple once it goes outside the US.

6. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I LOVE the one Anker cable I own, but I can't afford $60 per cable just so all my cables are Anker.
    These powerpoint bricks are useless as well since they are American only.

7. dmx macrumors 6502a

Looking for something with 3+ USB-C PD ports. Anyone know of any?

8. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Add an Apple logo, add a zero.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

This is a very affordable price for what it is. Apple’s own 30w adapter is $50, which is absurd.

10. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Won’t buy it if it’s not UL certified like most of their other chargers

11. Sappharad macrumors member

Except you click the link at the beginning of the article and there's literally a big giant 27W that fills the screen, and as you scroll down the page, it continues to say 27W.

12. Krizoitz macrumors 65816

Krizoitz

Hardly. Aside from the US, that type of plug is also used in Japan, Canada and Mexico along with the rest of Central America, the northern part of South America, and the Philippines.

It may not be useful to YOU but that’s far from being useless. Beyond which I’m sure I’d theres a market, Anker will offer versions which use other plug types, but given CES is a US focused trade show it makes sense they’d show of US focused products.

13. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

The Nintendo Switch is not USB-C compliant. If you don’t use the official Nintendo dick or charger, you run the risk of bricking your system.

14. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

I’m all over this one....as long as I can also get a 10’ cable. Hopefully they will put one out.

15. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

The console itself uses the PD standard to charge, it works perfectly with the google/apple 18W charger. The dock is a different story.

16. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

I can speak for my self but I use my MacBook Pro charger on my switch for over a year now. No issues. Love usb c. As long as it’s a quality charger I believe it’s fine. I wouldn’t use a $10 dollar charger for example.

17. jecowa macrumors regular

Is it small enough to not block the power outlets above and below the device? It's odd that they show it plugged into a power outlet with only one socket or whatever.

18. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Will it be safe? I’d rather it be well built than small.

19. konqerror macrumors 6502

Quite a bit of the Anker stuff is UL listed (or Intertek ETL or TUV, essentially the same). It's because they sell stuff in big-box stores, which unlike Amazon, require listing.

I recall, but I may be wrong, that there's some issue with high-count USB chargers that prevents them from being listed under the UL standard because the output current is too high for one supply.

Now AUKEY, I've never seen anything listed.

20. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Who knows for sure until the product is in the wild but Anker has good quality products. Ex google engineers I think that founded the company. There products are usually great quality. I have a charger/power bank with built in ac cord from them. Great quality after 3 yrs and many times traveling different countries getting abused Also bought the gf an Anker power bank that’s 4 yrs old and still going. I wouldn’t hesitate buying from them and they have great warranty. (Not paid by them :)

21. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I KNEW I was using my Switch incorrectly! ;)

22. swm macrumors regular

good god, why the backwards facing connector? it should be facing down so noone accidentally hits it from the side and breaks the plug and/or connector...

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good observation. Or the connector should be implemented on the side, where the wire isn’t protruding into a desk, table, ect.

24. Agit21 macrumors regular

Anker is actually a really good company. Their price tag is always low.