Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I still use an original Arlo setup...

Does anyone find the pricing on all Arlo stuff a bit much?

(I say this as a current user and mostly a fan of them..)

Looking at the nest camera (HD outdoor), which is $349. Would love all of it to be less expensive, but seems in line with that.

(FWIW, it looks like the standalone camera is $299; $399 gets you a base station too; and only $200 for each additional camera as purchased as part of a kit)

Last edited:

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
I want to use my 2011 Mini that has no other jobs at the moment for camera DVR. Plenty of local storage space. Maybe I can do that already but have not looked into it yet but no cloud plan needed. I would however like to have streaming access and access to the recorded content on the Mini while remote but I just have not looked into it yet.
You can do that but you need to know about FTP servers and VPN tunnels. Having a $3/month plan seems to be a much better option instead of killing a bunch of time on this project.

Lopezzi

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Springfield, MO
So does this mean Arlo Pro (not Pro 2) cameras won't get HomeKit support? I just bought a Pro system 2 months ago and am really liking it, but was REALLY hoping they would bring HomeKit support to them. I thought the base was the same for the Pro and Pro 2 so really hoping they do get the support!

EDIT:

So after tweeting at Arlo as well as many others did, Arlo has replied and said that HomeKit is coming to the Pro as well! Hooray!!

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
You can do that but you need to know about FTP servers and VPN tunnels. Having a $3/month plan seems to be a much better option instead of killing a bunch of time on this project.
I have both. I host my own VPN so I can ad block on the go through my own lists. FTP is. not used as much as in the past but familiar. I need to make some time to look into it, thanks for the reply.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Great form factor (Arlo pro) but horrible software tho.....Very overprice

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
So does this mean Arlo Pro (not Pro 2) cameras won't get HomeKit support? I just bought a Pro system 2 months ago and am really liking it, but was REALLY hoping they would bring HomeKit support to them. I thought the base was the same for the Pro and Pro 2 so really hoping they do get the support!

That’s how it sounds. Which is total BS

At the price these are always at, every generation, they need to be bringing features like that to previous gens as much as able and prioritizing future feature compatibility when designing.

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs
Very nice. I currently have Arlo Pros set up around my home and business and love the system.

Any word on pricing for Arlo ultra 4K?
Edit: $399.99 for one 4K camera w/ base station.

If you are already a Pro customer, you must already have the “hub”? Would you need to purchase a separate “hub” to use with the Ultra?

Curious, because I would like to add a combination of both Pro 2 & Ultra in new home.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
If you are already a Pro customer, you must already have the “hub”? Would you need to purchase a separate “hub” to use with the Ultra?

Curious, because I would like to add a combination of both Pro 2 & Ultra in new home.
I believe you can just buy an Ultra 4K add-on camera and add to your existing system-- that's what I plan on doing, too. Pro & Ultra 4K combination.

Reactions: Chaka Jon

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
(FWIW, it looks like the standalone camera is $299; $399 gets you a base station too; and only $200 for each additional camera as purchased as part of a kit)

Those are crazy prices. For $400, you can get a good NAS, a big hard drive, and a compatible wifi camera. Additional cameras will be cheaper, and you won't have to worry about Arlo's crappy cloud service.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Local data backup via internal WIFI is professional. Cloudy things play into the hands of thoughts which China probably dreams of and which can also become truth in the USA (....). Elimination of privacy. Wanna be part of that game?

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/10/ring-employees-customer-camera-access/
https://investor.arlo.com/ir-home/default.aspx
zChina.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.