CES 2019: Arlo Unveils HomeKit-Enabled Ultra 4K HDR Security Camera and All-in-One Home Security System

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Le Big Mac, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

Looking at the nest camera (HD outdoor), which is $349. Would love all of it to be less expensive, but seems in line with that.

(FWIW, it looks like the standalone camera is $299; $399 gets you a base station too; and only $200 for each additional camera as purchased as part of a kit)

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

That's just what seems .... I don't know --- "too much" to me - lol

3. sirozha macrumors 6502a

You can do that but you need to know about FTP servers and VPN tunnels. Having a $3/month plan seems to be a much better option instead of killing a bunch of time on this project.

4. Lopezzi, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Lopezzi macrumors newbie

Lopezzi

So does this mean Arlo Pro (not Pro 2) cameras won't get HomeKit support? I just bought a Pro system 2 months ago and am really liking it, but was REALLY hoping they would bring HomeKit support to them. I thought the base was the same for the Pro and Pro 2 so really hoping they do get the support!

EDIT:

So after tweeting at Arlo as well as many others did, Arlo has replied and said that HomeKit is coming to the Pro as well! Hooray!!

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have both. I host my own VPN so I can ad block on the go through my own lists. FTP is. not used as much as in the past but familiar. I need to make some time to look into it, thanks for the reply.

6. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Great form factor (Arlo pro) but horrible software tho.....Very overprice

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

That’s how it sounds. Which is total BS

At the price these are always at, every generation, they need to be bringing features like that to previous gens as much as able and prioritizing future feature compatibility when designing.

8. Chaka Jon macrumors regular

Chaka Jon

If you are already a Pro customer, you must already have the “hub”? Would you need to purchase a separate “hub” to use with the Ultra?

Curious, because I would like to add a combination of both Pro 2 & Ultra in new home.

9. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

I believe you can just buy an Ultra 4K add-on camera and add to your existing system-- that's what I plan on doing, too. Pro & Ultra 4K combination.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Those are crazy prices. For $400, you can get a good NAS, a big hard drive, and a compatible wifi camera. Additional cameras will be cheaper, and you won't have to worry about Arlo's crappy cloud service.

11. Chaka Jon macrumors regular

Chaka Jon

Thanks. That’s what I figured. Now I’ll need to figure out how many of each.

12. Morgenland, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland