Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Gardena Smart System is gaining support for Apple's HomeKit, with HomeKit integration coming to Gardena devices like the Smart Water Control, Smart Irrigation Control, Smart Sensor, and Smart Power.

Gardena accessories are gaining HomeKit compatibility through a software update, allowing existing Gardena Smart System owners to upgrade their systems to work with the Apple Home app and Siri voice commands.

gardenahomekit.jpg

Gardena's Smart System consists of a range of products, including watering sets for various areas like hedges and bushes or balconies, irrigation controls for controlling multiple irrigation zones, a control set for managing water usage, a water controller for automatic irrigation, sensors for measuring soil moisture and other parameters, and a smart power adapter.

The Gardena devices, available since 2016, are designed to allow gardeners to precisely monitor everything that goes on in their homes while also automating care in many ways. All of the devices have been able to be controlled via the Gardena app, but HomeKit offers more versatility and allows for integration with other HomeKit devices like outdoor lights, sensors, and more.

HomeKit compatibility will be added by the end of the first quarter of 2019.

Article Link: CES 2019: Gardena Smart System Now Works With Apple HomeKit

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
HomeKit compatibility will be added by the end of the first quarter of 2019.

There's a B-I-G disconnect between that statement and the article headline! "HomeKit support coming soon" must be one of the most broken tech promises of the last few years and I still have devices that I foolishly bought on the back of those empty words before I learned better. However, it still seems that any IoT company can grab free publicity (especially out of CES) by just vaguely muttering that they're going to add HomeKit support. Sometime. Perhaps. On the next version.

Let's start giving them the kudos and coverage when they actually come up with the goods!

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
There's a B-I-G disconnect between that statement and the article headline! "HomeKit support coming soon" must be one of the most broken tech promises of the last few years and I still have devices that I foolishly bought on the back of those empty words before I learned better. However, it still seems that any IoT company can grab free publicity (especially out of CES) by just vaguely muttering that they're going to add HomeKit support. Sometime. Perhaps. On the next version.

Let's start giving them the kudos and coverage when they actually come up with the goods!

you may say that next quarter not now. they tell it will be added this quarter, so...

Last edited:

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
While I definitely fall into the "HOMEKIT ALL THE THINGS!" camp, I have to wonder with these sprinklers and Hue's expanding outdoor lighting... how is one getting the WeeFees out to these devices?

Are they assuming that the somewhat-above-average consumer is going to invest in enterprise-ish outdoor access points?

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
While I definitely fall into the "HOMEKIT ALL THE THINGS!" camp, I have to wonder with these sprinklers and Hue's expanding outdoor lighting... how is one getting the WeeFees out to these devices?

Are they assuming that the somewhat-above-average consumer is going to invest in enterprise-ish outdoor access points?

EoH (ethernet over hosepipe)?

Actually, if you can do it over mains electrical circuits (Powerline), I guess there's no reason in theory why you couldn't transmit data through a (full) hosepipe...

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
EoH (ethernet over hosepipe)?

Actually, if you can do it over mains electrical circuits (Powerline), I guess there's no reason in theory why you couldn't transmit data through a (full) hosepipe...

If I'm translating from Queen's- to American- English correctly, I literally just laughed out loud at EoH. Cheers!

Reactions: NightFox

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
you may say that next quarter not now. they tell it will be added this quarter, so...

Sorry but in no way does committing to a timescale equate to the headline "Gardena Smart System Now Works With Apple HomeKit". It doesn't. Whether it will by the end of Q1, we'll just have to wait and see. But if HomeKit support was on my checklist, I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to buy this on the back of that promise.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

moiety

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008

Simple. They don’t use WIFi. Never have. Hue uses the Zigbee RF protocol, which has greater reach, especially through walls. Most irrigation stuff uses Bluetooth, and can mesh-hop back to the house.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Simple. They don’t use WIFi. Never have. Hue uses the Zigbee RF protocol, which has greater reach, especially through walls. Most irrigation stuff uses Bluetooth, and can mesh-hop back to the house.

Right, but there then has to be some sort of device that converts that communication back to a protocol that the Apple TV can understand. For Hue, it's the bridge.

moiety

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Right, but there then has to be some sort of device that converts that communication back to a protocol that the Apple TV can understand. For Hue, it's the bridge.

Correct. But since it’s a mesh network, only the last bulb/irrigation controller needs to be close enough to your Apple TV/HomePod/Hue bridge/whatever.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017

Gardena is not “any IoT company.” They’re a German manufacturer of gardening, landscaping, farming equipment since the 60s. Good quality stuff made to last. My dad has a ton of their stuff. I’m sure they will deliver.

jelockwood

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
Interesting news although I do take the 'launch date' with a pinch of sodium-chloride.

More importantly there is a vastly greater chance of seeing this in the UK and Europe than similar products from US blinkered manufacturers such as Raincheck, Rachio, GreenIQ (effectively discontinued), MiracleGro aka Scots and formerly made by Blossom.

Global warming is real and affects the UK and Europe as we saw with 2018's exceptional UK summer. Hence the interest in irrigation systems even in this supposedly rain blessed country with its 'green and pleasant land'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.