CES 2019: Netgear Unveils New Orbi 802.11ax Mesh Wi-Fi System for Gigabit Internet

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. friedmud macrumors 65816

I got lucky and the people who wired my house used Cat-5e for all the phone lines... I was able to easily convert a couple with ethernet plugs and I was in business :)

2. NUTNDUN macrumors newbie

NUTNDUN

You can get a Unifi setup with USG, Switch and AP for the same price as the Orbi system. The AP's can be used just laying on a desk also. I actually got just as good of coverage with mine laying on a shelf as I did with it now mounted to my ceiling. If I didn't already want to patch the one section of drywall in the area where I mounted it I would have left mine on the shelf. Also if you buy a single pack of a UAP they come with the injector.

3. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Be thankful for early adopters. Without them things would stagnate.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

A Ubiquti EdgeRouter is around $50, a switch from them with PoE is around $100, and an access point is $75. You'd be right around the same cost as the Netgear Orbi, but with much better equipment.

5. jettredmont macrumors 68030

Yes, and to be clear the issue is not number of connected devices (it can handle just lots of those no problem) or even number of satellites, but the placement of the satellites. A recent firmware update seems to have made this issue worse (or maybe just more predictable).

If a satellite is too close to another (or the router), the satellite will go into a “Sync Config” state. Anything attached to that satellite will have no internet access at all.

The cure is simple: move the satellite further away. Which is kind of the point anyway, to spread the area of coverage with your mesh.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What's an appropriate setup if you want a single wi-fi network throughout a building where some of the offices have hardwired Ethernet ports? Can some of the mesh satellites be hard-connected to those ports? Does that boost the overall wi-fi network speed?

7. Stanfield macrumors newbie

The 9 months I spent battling the current generation of Orbi garbage were miserable. The wifi was so unreliable I could never count on it. The max speeds were great, when the units were responsive, so I tried battling the defect riddled firmware in hopes it would stabilize. It never came close. I had multiple replacement units and a friend had the same issues at his house. Do not buy this junk. The product is awful, the support is nonexistent, upgrades take you even further from your goal. These probably took a few months off of my total lifespan, if not more. I think my buddy was nearing divorce until he caved in and bought a functioning replacement product, if his kids didn't kill him in his sleep first. Just awful.

8. chipb macrumors member

Why would anyone care how they look? no one is going to sit and stare at the thing.

9. Mr X macrumors member

Mr X

Tell my wife that!

10. PlayfullyEvil macrumors newbie

I have the current version of the RBK50 and have yet to be disappointed. It's an amazing product and have not come across any dropped signals.

When all my devices have been upgraded to WiFi6 I may end up replacing my Orbi with the new one. But that won't be for another couple of years.