Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OtterBox today announced that it is partnering with PopSockets for a new series of "Otter + Pop" Symmetry cases for iPhone, which come equipped with a built-in "PopGrip" compatible with removable, swappable "PopTops" at the back of the case.

PopSockets have become extremely popular over the course of the last year, with the stick-on holders available in a range of colors and patterns. The new Otter + Pop cases will also be available in a range of colors for what OtterBox says is a variety of "swappable, unstoppable combinations" to fit "every look, style, scene, or vibe."

otterboxpopsocket-800x525.jpg
"OtterBox and PopSockets collaborating on an integrated case was a no-brainer," said Jim Parke, OtterBox CEO. "Our fans love variety, customization and sleek protection. With Otter + Pop, we can deliver that in one thin iPhone case that combines our legacy of protection with all of the unique attributes that PopSockets delivers."
Otter + Pop cases combine OtterBox's protective Symmetry cases with a PopGrip with the aim of making the iPhone easier to hold with one hand than ever before. When not in use, the integrated PopGrip lays flush with the case, so it's not in the way.

Otter + Pop will be coming soon to the OtterBox and PopSocket websites, with the cases to be priced starting at $59.95. Additional PopTops will be available for $8 each.

Article Link: CES 2019: OtterBox Teams Up With PopSockets for New 'Otter + Pop' iPhone Cases

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
Good God, Those are hideous. Otterbox cases are bad enough in the ugly department then they add those nasty things to it. They’ll probably sell millions. People today.
So, clearly... Popsockets have become extremely popular these days, Uh?

People of today seem to want to insure their well deserved money spent on this idioticly expensive new range of glass phones. This pop thing is a compromising thing to idiot proof themselves. They buy a masterpiece in aesthetics and ruin it with such a otter thing. Because they all can't, they won't and they don't stop... pimping their personality with ‘must have’ mobile phones.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Pop sockets have been around for a long time now. https://www.popsockets.com. Yes, they have car mounts as well.

Weird but I can now see how the case would help make the socket feel flush as opposed to sticking it out. Damn anyone sticking something directly to their iPhone. I know Goo-b-gone exists but that's just annoying.

Are phones so large that these are marketed as a way to hold the phone easier? I've used Apple's cases for years. No complaints here.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve got a Pokémon pop socket but never attached it. I’ve got it stuck up on a bulletin board, instead, to hold things. I can’t figure out how they’re supposed to help me hold the phone, but my teenager and her friends use them. This case makes them seem more useful and less obtrusive but I still don’t know how they help with holding the phone. I guess different strokes for different folks.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Can you charge wirelessly I wonder

I have a knockoff on my XsM, and because I have it placed low on the phone, I can still use my wireless charger. I suspect that with the built in socket, and the fact that you can easily remove it or push it flat, that wireless charging will be possible with this.

I like the combination. I would still have to personalize it though.

IMG_1889.JPG

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
I’ve got a Pokémon pop socket but never attached it. I’ve got it stuck up on a bulletin board, instead, to hold things. I can’t figure out how they’re supposed to help me hold the phone, but my teenager and her friends use them. This case makes them seem more useful and less obtrusive but I still don’t know how they help with holding the phone. I guess different strokes for different folks.
It allows people to have their thumb hover over the center of the phone instead of below the center while using only one hand. Consequently, it’s easier to reach all over the display. By locking that nipple kind of thing in between two fingers, it prevents the slippery phone from balancing and sliding of their tiny hands. It remedies phone drop anxiety.

Asian people have used such stuff for years, combined with a hovering over screen home button (accessibility setting). They used suction cups with a ring like 5 years ago. I saw that in Hong Kong, and found it really odd. They have such small hands, and even reachability was not a good enough remedy.
Now, with that home button gone on the newest phones, that additional clutter of a software home button in the display is gone.

I use an iphone 8 Plus, and have hands size 12, good combination :)

Some people need to adapt to the proportion of their phone, while common sense would have them buy a phone that fits their proportions.:D

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It allows people to have their thumb hover over the center of the phone instead of below the center while using only one hand. Consequently, it’s easier to reach all over the display. By locking that nipple kind of thing in between two fingers, it prevents the slippery phone from balancing and sliding of their tiny hands. It remedies phone drop anxiety.

Asian people have used such stuff for years, combined with a hovering over screen home button (accessibility setting). They used suction cups with a ring like 5 years ago. I saw that in Hong Kong, and found it really odd. They have such small hands, and even reachability was not a good enough remedy.
Now, with that home button gone on the newest phones, that additional clutter of a software home button in the display is gone.

I use an iphone 8 Plus, and have hands size 12, good combination :)

Some people need to adapt to the proportion of their phone, while common sense would have them buy a phone that fits their proportions.:D
Ah thank you! My daughter always seemed to be holding it like a doorknob.:confused::rolleyes:

Reactions: orbital~debris

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I attached a PopSocket to my phone. When my dad saw it, he ordered me to look away, yelled "Yamero!" and grabbed a garden hose to spray the things so they'd get off each other. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.