CES 2019: Seagate Launches New Seagate and LaCie SSDs and HDDs

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At this year's Consumer Electronics Show, Seagate is launching a number of new external hard drives and solid state drives under its Seagate and LaCie brand names, offering up a new range of data storage solutions.

Seagate's premium LaCie brand is launching two new products, including the LaCie Mobile Drive and the LaCie Mobile SSD.

The LaCie Mobile Drive offers up to 5TB of storage for those who need a lot of storage space, while the LaCie Mobile SSD offers up to 2TB of storage space and transfer speeds of 540MB/s, for instances when quick data transfer is needed.

[​IMG]

The two new LaCie drives, which are launching in January, feature a unique diamond-cut design that's meant to complement the aesthetics of Apple's Mac notebook lineup.

LaCie's Mobile Drive offers a two year warranty, while the LaCie Mobile SSD offers a three year warranty and a three year subscription to the Seagate Rescue Data Recovery plan.

Under the Seagate brand, multiple new Backup Plus drives are launching. The Backup Plus Ultra Touch, available in 1TB or 2TB capacities, is designed to offer a "high-touch sensory experience" with features that include automatic backup and multi-device folder sync.

[​IMG]

The Backup Plus Slim, available in 1TB and 2TB capacities, and the Backup Plus Portable, in 4TB and 5TB capacities, are Seagate's newest drives in a classic line, offering an aluminum finish in black, blue, and silver, with automatic backup included.

All new Backup Plus models ship with a complimentary two month subscription to the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan.

Seagate's Backup Plus Ultra Touch will be available starting in February. while the Backup Plus Slim and Backup Plus Portable will launch in March.

Article Link: CES 2019: Seagate Launches New Seagate and LaCie SSDs and HDDs

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

4. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

5. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

I was expecting Seagate to launch new Western Digital drives.

6. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

Would have been nice if the article mentioned something.

7. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

Thank god they've addressd my biggest complaint with portable hard drives: they aren't pleasant enough to run my fingers over.

Cool! More crapware to be erased when I format the drive in Disk Utility the second I first attach it.

Face it, portable hard drives are nearly a generic commodity at this point and they're desperately trying to differentiate.

8. GtotheE macrumors newbie

Haha, this is exactly how I feel.

9. TVreporter macrumors regular

TVreporter

Keep making them bigger so I can justify ordering a smaller size Mac mini storage and not pay the Apple tax!

10. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

AnandTech has an article which specifies that: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13799/seagate-lacie-ces-2019 Quote from that article (emphasis mine):
    The LaCie Mobile Drive (external hard-drive) comes in capacities ranging from 2TB (10mm thick) to 5TB (20mm thick), while the LaCie Mobile SSD (external SSD) comes in capacities up to 2TB. Both have a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C interface, and come with the LaCie Toolkit software (for backup / mirroring purposes that external drives are commonly used for).

11. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

12. ambhaiji macrumors newbie

ambhaiji

No the Ultra touch has a Micro USB 3.0 on the drive with a Type-C to Type-A dongle included in the box

Apparently we need to pay a 30-100% premium for ugly and edgy design some with a useless porsche tag to get Type C

13. seagate_surfer macrumors newbie

seagate_surfer