CES 2019: TP-Link Plans to Add HomeKit Support to Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini in Early 2019

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TP-Link today announced that it plans to make its Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini compatible with HomeKit in early 2019.

[​IMG]

HomeKit support will allow for the smart plug to be controlled in the Home app on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac and with Siri voice commands. It will also be possible to add the smart plug to a HomeKit scene, which lets users control multiple accessories at the same time, such as when arriving home.

This smart plug features a compact design that takes up only one receptacle on a typical double-receptacle wall outlet. They cost $24.99 each or $64.99 for a three-pack on Amazon and at select retailers such as Best Buy in the United States.

TP-Link is introducing seven new Kasa smart home products at CES 2019 in Las Vegas, including a video doorbell, light switch, light strip, security cameras, and additional plugs, which can be controlled with the Kasa Smart app on the App Store, but HomeKit support was not specified for these accessories.

The entire Kasa lineup is, however, compatible with rival platforms Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Microsoft Cortana.

HomeKit-enabled smart plugs are quite common, with a wide variety of options available from brands such as Eve, iDevices, iHome, Wemo, and Koogeek. They can be used to conveniently turn on and off TVs, lamps, coffee machines, and other household objects with an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: CES 2019: TP-Link Plans to Add HomeKit Support to Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini in Early 2019

2. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Bought Some of these for my father-in-law recently. Seeing that HomeKit integration is coming, I might have to pick up some for myself now. Was originally looking at those Elgato EVE smartplugs, but couldn’t get passed the ridiculous price.

3. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

I've long learned that the phrase "plans to add HomeKit support" coming from any manufacturer is generally worthless and best ignored. Never, ever should it be allowed to influence buying decisions.

4. Cinab1mt macrumors regular

Does this mean if we have an existing plug it will be updated to support HomeKit? Or, is it only the new 2019 models?

5. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Will be surprised if there is backwards compatibility.

6. Mac Fly (film), Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

HomeKit smartplugs are far less prevalent in the UK. Eve, which seems to be the widely mentioned option costs £50/€62 per plug. Been several years and the HomeKit options are pretty frustrating.

HomeKit smart bulb manufacturer competition also barely exists in the UK, unlike the US. Apple have been practically asleep at the wheel in this area. If Apple had their head screwed on right they’d have produced a smart plug themselves for the main regions out there for a sensible price years ago.

7. inkhorn macrumors member

inkhorn

There's already HomeKit support via homebridge for tp-link plugs fortunately!

Which made them the cheapest smart plug available in the UK.

It's a shame the security of these Kasa things is so utterly hopeless.

8. walstib macrumors newbie

walstib

I’m so tired of “HomeKit support coming.”

Let me know when it actually arrives.

9. slicktor macrumors member

slicktor

I have 3 of these, so I hope they are backwards compatible!

10. BrentD macrumors 6502

Same. At this point I believe no company that offers this "promise" anymore.

11. dc-mjd macrumors newbie

I use Alexa and HomeKit. Alexa will frequently be unable to find a device that HomeKit and native app see fine. Not totally sure what software requirements Homekit is requiring in instead of the hardware, but as little faith as I am developing in “smart device” security, will take what i can get and drop Alexa.

12. rikscha macrumors 6502a

13. getoffmylawn macrumors newbie